Student robbed near Marcy Park

Also, women returned to a burglar in their Como home.

A University of Minnesota student was robbed early Sunday near Marcy Park, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The victim, 19, was walking alone at about 1 a.m. one block away from Marcy Park when three men approached him and asked for money, said Minneapolis police Sgt. Steve McCarty.

When the victim said he didn’t have any money, one of the men demanded his cellphone, and he gave it up, McCarty said.

The three men left the victim unharmed, and McCarty said they fled the scene before police arrived.

The victim gave up the phone because he felt intimidated by the suspects, the report said.

The robbery might have been avoided had the victim not walked by himself, McCarty said. Police encourage students to walk in well-lit areas and with groups, especially late at night.

He added that he thought the victim was smart to give up his cellphone without a fight.

“A lot of people are inclined to tell these potential robbers ‘no,’” he said. “But you don’t want that refusal to end up with someone getting hurt.”

Burglar surprises students near Como Avenue

Four women returned home to find a burglar in their house Sunday afternoon, a Minneapolis police report said.

The women, three of whom are University students, arrived at their home near the Como Student Community Cooperative and discovered a man in their house, McCarty said.

When the man saw them, he did not confront them and instead fled the scene through the side door, McCarty said.

The man dropped some of the items he was carrying in the house, but he still left with electronics and jewelry, McCarty said.

Though it is rare for people to come face to face with a burglar, McCarty said it is best not to confront them.

“You never know if the person is armed,” he said. “You never know what they’ll do.”

UMPD issues few drug citations on 4/20

University police responded to few reports of drug use on campus Saturday. The day is known as a holiday by marijuana users, characterized by heavy public smoking.

Officers only handed out three citations for narcotics violations and possession of drug paraphernalia Saturday.

Campus has seen large April 20 celebrations in the past. A 2010 event drew about 100 people to Northrop Mall to smoke marijuana and hookah tobacco.

University police Lt. Troy Buhta said large April 20 celebrations are generally not as prevalent at the University.

“I know it’s a day where people show support by smoking,” he said. “Fortunately, it’s not as big a problem on our campus as it is with others.”