Campus fraternity house burglarized

Along with campus robberies and burglaries, police discovered a meth lab.

Crime around campus this week included gunpoint robberies, police discovering a methamphetamine lab and a fraternity being burglarized.

A 51-year-old man was robbed about 2 a.m. Sunday in the parking lot behind Arones Bar in the 500 block of Central Avenue Southeast.

According to the police report, the man said he didn’t remember much but said two men approached him and hit him in the forehead with some kind of stick or bat. The man said he did not know whether he was conscious.

The report said he had a 2- to 3-inch cut above his right eye that required stitches. He said the men stole his wallet.

A robbery happened about 3:30 a.m. Friday near the corner of 10th Avenue Southeast and Eighth Street Southeast.

Nicole Angst, a human resources senior, said she and two friends were walking on the sidewalk when two men passed them.

Angst said the men pointed handguns at her and a friend and demanded their purses.

Her friend gave up hers, but Angst resisted.

“I held on to mine as long as I could,” Angst said. “I don’t know why.”

The men ended up getting her purse in the end, as well as one of her shoes, Angst said.

James De Sota, neighborhood coordinator for the Southeast Como Improvement Association, said part of the reason there is an increase in robberies is the warmer weather.

De Sota said crime always “spikes” in the spring and fall because there are new students coming in and students moving into new houses.

With the increase in dangerous or potentially violent crimes, the neighborhood doesn’t know what to expect, De Sota said.

Meth lab in southeast

Police were called April 12 to 630 Malcolm Ave. S.E. for a report of a possible meth lab.

According to the police report, officials later confirmed it was a meth lab and the Minneapolis Police Department bomb squad disposed of the lab.

Further information was not available as of press time.

Stealing out the window

About 1 a.m. Sunday police responded to a burglary report at Beta Theta Pi fraternity house.

Steve Johnson, deputy police chief for the University, said that when officers arrived, witnesses said the five suspects fled and gave the officers their descriptions.

Two witnesses said they saw the suspects in the house, Johnson said.

Another witness said he was walking up near the back of

the house when he saw one person standing on a car outside an open window with an Xbox in his hands, Johnson said.

Johnson said the same witness also saw another person inside the house in front of the window with a DVD player and laptop in his hands.

Matthew Ubowski, a resident of the house and a first-year communications studies student, said one of the windows in the back didn’t have a screen, and the suspects must have gotten in through there.

When the witnesses yelled over to them, they dropped the stuff and ran, Johnson said.

Police were able to stop the suspects based on description, but because two of the witnesses couldn’t identify the suspects, they were released.

The incident still is under investigation, Johnson said.

Ubowski said this isn’t the first time the house has been burglarized.

In October a screen going into the basement was cut and DJ equipment was stolen, Ubowski said.