Students of color admissions at the U

How does the U’s admissions diversity compare to the Big Ten?

The April 5 Minnesota Daily article âÄúRace on Campus: A Work in ProgressâÄù by MacKenzie Collins raises some excellent points on students of color (SoC) admissions at the University of Minnesota. I would like to add some additional information that I feel is relevant to this article. Over the past few years, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus first-year SoC percentage has varied between 18 and 21 percent. In the Big Ten, Minnesota ranks behind only Michigan, Illinois and Northwestern in the percentage of SoC among new first-years and all undergraduates, despite the fact that the states of Michigan and Illinois have a much higher SoC percentage among high school graduates. Additionally, among Big Ten schools, only Minnesota and Iowa have SoC percentages that exceed the SoC percentages in their stateâÄôs high school classrooms. The estimated SoC percentage among 2009 Minnesota high school graduates was 16.8 percent, while the fall 2009 University SoC percentage for new first-years was 19.1 percent and 18.1 percent for all undergraduates. It is interesting to compare these figures to Ohio, where the estimated SoC percentage among high school graduates was 17.5 percent, while the percentages at Ohio State University were 15.2 percent for fall 2009 first-years and 14.9 percent for all undergraduates. Similar comparisons could be made with most other Big Ten peer institutions. I can assure Daily readers that the University will continue its commitment to enrolling an academically strong and broadly diverse student body that represents a cross-section of the state of Minnesota and to the timely graduation of all of our students. Robert B. McMaster, University vice provost and dean of undergraduate education