Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Daily Email Edition

Get MN Daily NEWS delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday!


University campus sees three thefts Wednesday

Three thefts occurred on the University of Minnesota East Bank campus Wednesday.

All of the victims left their belongings unattended, according to police reports. University Police currently don’t have any information on the suspects.

A man left his cellphone, driver’s license and credit card on the bleachers in the University Aquatic Center around 10:30 a.m., according to a police report. He came back 30 minutes later and saw they were gone.

Around the same time, a staff member at the Phillips Wangensteen Building had her credit card and about $75 in cash stolen from her unlocked office, another report said.

That night, a student staying in Comstock Hall accidentally left his room unlocked for about an hour while he went on a walk. Someone came into his room and stole his backpack and laptop, according to another police report.

University police don’t believe the thefts are related, said Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.


Assault at McDonald’s

An unknown suspect punched a man in the face and knocked his tooth out at the Dinkytown McDonald’s early Thursday morning.

In the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, which includes Dinkytown, police have recorded six other assaults so far this year.

St. Paul College junior Dalton Kite brought two of his friends to the restaurant early Thursday morning after a 21st birthday celebration. He left them in the car and went inside.

Kite came back outside about five minutes later. His friends were sitting on the ground, and two men were trying to take pictures with them.

The men didn’t say why they wanted pictures with Kite’s friends and wouldn’t leave when he asked them to.

Kite stepped between the two groups to keep his friends from being photographed and one of the men punched him in the face.

“I just stood in the way,” Kite said. “Next thing I know, I’m on the ground.”

Police arrived at the scene and took Kite to the hospital, where staff managed to put his tooth back in place. Kite said a police officer got milk from McDonald’s to put his tooth in and preserve it.

He said his friends were grateful for his interference.

“They were sitting in the hospital room with me for the whole four hours,” Kite said.

Leave a Comment

Accessibility Toolbar

Comments (0)

All The Minnesota Daily Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *