Greeks kick off recruitment

This year, fraternities and sororities have added the extra incentive of free pizza.

Like many campus groups, the greek community is relying on an old strategy for enticing new members this fall: free pizza.

First-year students who are interested in becoming members of a University fraternity or sorority this year are invited to the Greek Recruitment Kickoff tonight from 4 to 7 p.m. at the superblock.

where to go

Sorority Informational Sessions/Orientations
what: Panhellenic Council informational sessions for women
when: Sunday, Sept. 9 from 1 to 3 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 12 from 7 to 9 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 13 from 5 to 7 p.m.
where: Coffman Memorial Union

“The whole event is new,” said Clint Been, vice president of public relations for the Interfraternity Council.

In past years, students interested in joining fraternities could approach individual houses or have formal meetings with members of each fraternity, Been said. The superblock event allows students to meet members of each fraternity in an informal setting.

For women interested in joining sororities, the recruitment process is much different, Chad Ellsworth, coordinator for the Office for Fraternity and Sorority Life, said.

University sororities follow a formal recruitment process, which lasts two weeks, officially beginning Sept. 15, he said.

First-year business student Stephanie Harms said she became interested in joining a sorority during her senior year of high school, and her family’s involvement in the greek community encouraged her decision.

where to go

Greek Recruitment and Kickoff
what: Free food and music, as well as the chance to meet members of different fraternities and sororities and get more information about joinging.
when: 4 to 7 p.m. Friday
where: Superblock volleyball courts

The part of greek life, Harms said, she is looking forward to is “meeting new people” and attending “formal dances.”

Tonight’s event offers students an opportunity to learn about the greek community as a whole, said Alex Harkness, vice president for public relations for the Panhellenic Council.

The individual sororities will not have tables at tonight’s event, but Rho Alphas, or recruitment counselors, will be on hand to meet students, Harkness said.

Rho Alphas are “unbiased guides for women going through recruitment,” she said. “(They’re) able to help out through the two weeks and help make a decision on what chapter is right for them.”

Women looking to get involved in the recruitment process can register online at www.begreek.org and need to attend an informational meeting next week.

Ellsworth recommends that students keep an open mind throughout the recruitment process.

There are “any number of reasons people might join (a fraternity or sorority),” he said. “Be yourself and let your true self come through.”