U student robbed at gunpoint near superblock

Two people took a student’s bag, which contained a laptop, iPod and cell phone.

Two suspects robbed a University student at gunpoint just east of the Superblock early Nov. 9.

Minneapolis police Lt. Greg Reinhardt said a male and female suspect approached a female student at about 1:10 a.m. at the intersection of Fulton and Ontario streets southeast, demanding money from her.

The suspects took the student’s bag, which had a laptop, iPod, some books and a cell phone inside, Reinhardt said.

Minneapolis police responded quickly and spoke with the victim, he said.

“She was upset,” Reinhardt said. “They checked the area but did not find any suspects.”

He said the case has been turned over to the Minneapolis police robbery unit for further investigation.

The negotiator

A University student managed to negotiate a deal with her assailant, allowing her to keep her purse Monday.

Psychology senior Carrie Rowan said she had just returned home from the bank when a car pulled into the driveway next to her building in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood at about 12:30 p.m.

She said a woman got out of the vehicle and told Rowan she had a gun and wanted her purse.

The suspect asked Rowan if she wanted to see the gun, Rowan said.

“I didn’t say anything,” she said. “I really didn’t feel the need to have it pointed at me.”

That’s when Rowan began negotiating with the woman. Aside from $57 cash, Rowan had her checkbook, check card and drivers license in her purse and did not want to go through the hassle of canceling them, she said.

“I said, ‘Look. I have $57. You take the money and let me keep my purse,’ ” Rowan said. “She actually agreed to it.”

Rowan handed over the cash and the woman left without further incident.

“I was really surprised,” Rowan said.

This case was also given to the robbery unit and it is unknown whether this crime is related to any others in the area, Reinhardt said.

Aborted burglary

Roommates in a five-bedroom Rollins Avenue Southeast house were rudely awakened at about 3:30 a.m. Friday by loud pounding sounds.

Michael Peterka, an economics junior, said he thought it was just one of his roommates screwing around downstairs. One of his roommates investigated the ruckus and heard wood cracking, Peterka said.

“The kid just broke through the door,” he said.

He said his roommate confronted the unknown man and demanded he get out of the house.

“He had a blank look on his face like he didn’t know what was going on,” Peterka said. “He ran and fell down the stairs.”

The roommates called police who said they would look for the suspect, Peterka said. Later that night, one of the roommates found Peterka’s bike smashed up across the street and they called the police again, he said.

This time, when the police arrived, they found the suspect’s cell phone, Peterka said.

The police used the evidence to find the man’s address, went to his house and arrested him without further incident, Reinhardt said.

He said the suspect was under the influence of alcohol and had severe lacerations on his arms. The man was transported to the hospital for treatment and will be charged later, Reinhardt said.

Although the suspect did not steal anything, Peterka said the incident was “kinda scary.”

“We’re lucky it was just a drunk, messed-up kid instead of someone that really wanted to do something to us,” he said.