Endorsements for local candidates

Delegates and students should consider these candidates at the DFL caucuses and conventions.

The Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party caucuses are Tuesday night at 7 p.m., where Minneapolis residents can volunteer to become delegates to ward and city conventions. Students and members of the University of Minnesota community should participate regardless of what candidate they support or if they remain undecided on local candidates.

We currently support Gary Schiff for mayor of Minneapolis. Schiff is tied to the University, having worked with numerous groups of students and young people, and he is also a University alumnus. Schiff’s work on foreclosures, affordable housing and effective public transportation addresses major problems in Minneapolis.

We urge residents of Ward 3 (Dinkytown and Marcy-Holmes) to support Jacob Frey for City Council. Frey has spoken about important issues for University students and our community, such as early voting and no-excuse absentee voting, restoring cuts to the renter’s credit and addressing parking and transportation issues.

We urge Ward 6 (West Bank) residents to support Robert Lilligren for City Council. Ward 6 has arguably seen the greatest change with the redrawn wards. But residents should continue to support Lilligren’s leadership, which has been proven in his efforts with the Midtown Exchange, reopening of Nicollet Avenue at Lake Street and his commitment to the diversity of his constituents.

We urge Ward 10 (Uptown) residents to support Lisa Bender for City Council because she will work on eliminating or reducing parking minimums, creating protected bikeways and supporting bus and streetcar systems. She will bring urban planning expertise and experience to the City Council.

For ward and precinct locations, check the City of Minneapolis website or contact any of the candidates’ campaigns.