Campus Crime Update: Record homicide numbers in Marcy-Holmes

As of November, Marcy-Holmes has seen four total homicides since the beginning of the year.

Two homicides in Marcy-Holmes in October and November marked record homicide numbers in the neighborhood. 

Crime Trends

On Saturday, a homicide near the Stone Arch Bridge brought Marcy-Holmes homicide data to a ten-year high. Total homicide numbers in the neighborhood from Jan. 1 to Nov. 20 of 2019 equal the total of the previous ten years combined.  

In 2019, as of Nov. 20, Marcy-Holmes saw four homicides. From Jan. 1, 2008 to Dec. 31, 2018, the neighborhood saw four homicides total.

Marcy-Holmes has also seen an uptick in violent crime this month compared to the past two years. The Minneapolis Police Department defines violent crimes as instances of homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault and domestic aggravated assault.

This month, as of Nov. 20, the neighborhood had seen nine violent crimes total. This included one homicide, four robberies, three aggravated assaults and one domestic aggravated assault. Marcy-Holmes violent crime in November 2018 comprised of two robberies, while November 2017 saw four robberies. 

Comparatively, as of Nov. 20, seven violent crimes occurred in Cedar-Riverside this month. Over the same time frame, Prospect Park had seen two violent crimes and Southeast Como did not see any.

Notable Crimes

On Nov. 15 at 3 p.m., a University of Minnesota student was assaulted and robbed at the intersection of 14th Avenue Southeast and 8th Street Southeast while she was walking home. According to a University of Minnesota Police Department report, no weapons were used and the woman was uninjured. 

The University later issued a campus-wide SAFE-U Emergency alert on the incident. In the alert, one suspect was described as wearing acid-wash jeans and a blue and white sweater. The other was described as wearing a grey hoodie around his face. The two fled in a white vehicle. 

On Nov. 17 at 1:41 a.m., MPD officers made contact with a vehicle while they were on call for a shooting. The vehicle, on University Avenue near I-35W Southbound, was allegedly similar to the vehicle of the suspected shooter. 

Police officers detained the occupants of the car and found that one of the passengers had a warrant filed against her for trespassing. The woman was arrested and brought to Hennepin County Jail.