Men’s tennis team stays hot, sweeps Penn State easily

The Minnesota men’s tennis team went into University Park, Penn., and annihilated the Lions on Sunday without losing a match Sunday.
The 23rd-ranked Gophers won all six singles matches as well as all three doubles matches to claim a 7-0 victory.
Winners for Minnesota Sunday were: freshman Harsh Mankad, sophomore Thomas Haug, junior Jorge Duenas, senior captain Martin Michalowski, junior Jon Svensson and freshman Eric Robertson.
Haug and Michalowski teamed up for a doubles victory, as did Svensson and Robertson. Mankad and Duenas finished the sweep at third doubles.
Men’s track and field
The Minnesota men’s track and field team took home seven titles from the Minnesota Triangular at The Fieldhouse against Minnesota State and Drake.
Sophomore Andrew McKessock won his third race of the season, capturing the 3,000-meter race with a time of 8:14.24. Senior Nate Clay placed fourth in the same event.
Minnesota’s young guns continued their winning ways in the 400, where Erik Foley took first with a time of 50.25. Junior Tom Gerding ran a season-best 1:18.59 in capturing the 600, followed immediately by teammate Bob Quade at 1:20.18.
Sophomore Joey Corr took second in the mile with a personal best time of 4:11.89.
In field events, Michael Ehlers won the shot put with a heave of 53 feet 9 3/4 inches. Ben Meyer won the weight throw with a solid toss of 54 feet 7 1/2 inches. Ehlers and Mark Fahey finished second and third, respectively.
Freshman Scott Berggren used his ups to take the high jump, soaring 6 feet 4 3/4 inches.
The men’s track and field team takes its first road trip during the indoor season next weekend when they visit Ames, Iowa, to compete in the Cyclone Challenge, Feb. 11-12.
Men’s gymnastics
The Gophers men’s gymnastics team was defeated by Michigan State on Saturday in a dual meet in East Lansing.
Bright spots for the Gophers, who lost 227.55-222.90, included freshman Clay Strother who scored a 9.775 on the floor, good for second place. Strother also scored a 9.8 on the pommel horse.
Senior Lindsey Fang placed second on the horse, with a score of 9.875. Fang also took second with a 9.4 on the parallel bars.
Minnesota’s next dual will take place Feb. 19 when they travel to Ohio State.
–Compiled from press releases