Daily Digest: Bruininks spreads the word; a possible ban on trans fats

It’s about that time. Time, that is, for spring semester’s first Daily Digest! Here are a few tidbits of newsworthy happenings around campus and the metro.

*Students gathered at several locations on campus to watch President Barack Obama deliver his inauguration speech.  Inauguration proceedings were shown at the Coffman Memorial Union Theater, the Coffman commuter lounge, the St. Paul Student Center Theater and the St. Paul Student Center lower-level lounge. See the full transcript at nyt.com if you missed it.In addition to crowds in Washington and on campus, multiple news organizations broadcast the inauguration live on their websites. CNN Live even incorporated the Facebook statuses of its viewers.

*Lately, University President Bob Bruininks has been actively communicating with students and the state. Last week, he released a statement, reacting to Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s State of the State address, in which the governor called for tuition caps and more online classes. Read about the proposals in the Daily’s Tuesday story, or read Bruininks’ statement on the University of Minnesota website.  Over the weekend, Bruininks also emailed students a link to his youtube video, which features him answereing students’ questions about topics rangeing from tuition to jobs. 

*Finally, a little news for the college student in all of us.  Minneapolis and St. Paul may soon take steps to change the type of junk food you can eat.  The Star Tribune reported last week that both cities are considering bans on trans fats in restaurants.  According to the FDA, trans fats increase your risk of coronary heart disease and highten cholesteral levels.  Trans fats are banned in restaurands in New York City and in the state of California.  Lucky for students seaking hard fat made from liquid oils (aka trans fats), there are still the suburbs. 

Anna Ewart

Associate Editor

Policy Desk