Student victimized by online financial scam

Also, a U student was arrested for assault after a fight.

A University of Minnesota student discovered he was the victim of an online financial scam Friday, according to a University police report.

Twenty-year-old Yiqun Zhang signed up to work as a tutor on UniversityTutor.com, a site for students to find tutors, and worked with a student on the website by the name of “John Metcalf” from Lebanon, Miss.

After he tutored Metcalf, Zhang received a check for $2,800, but it was made out by a “Warren Erickson” from Suwanee, Ga.

Before he cashed the check, Metcalf, whom Zhang never met in person, asked him to send $2,000 via MoneyGram to someone in Florida, who the suspect said needed the money.

After Zhang sent the check to Florida, he said his bank told him the original check he received had bounced.

Zhang reported the scam to University police Friday.

University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said he’s seen students victimized by similar scams on websites like Craigslist, but had never heard of UniversityTutor.com.

He said scammers typically send a check worth more money than the victim asks for and then ask the victim to send back cash to make up the difference.

“Then, [the victims are] out their money because the check was bogus in the first place,” he said.

The website warns users about potential scams. It tells them to never accept checks from people far away, wire unknown people funds or deal with someone who refuses to meet face to face or talk over the phone.

U student cited for assault

A University student was arrested near Como Avenue Southeast late Sunday night after a fight with another man not affiliated with the University, according to a Minneapolis police report.

Connor Chapman, a pre-medical junior, was arrested on suspicion of fifth-degree assault just after 11 p.m. on Sunday after a fight broke out between him and his roommate’s boyfriend, Joe Chase, 18, according to the report.

Chase said the fight started when both men were arguing in separate rooms when Chapman allegedly burst through the door and slammed Chase multiple times against the wall.

“We’ve been having disagreements for the past week over things,” he said.

Police arrived and arrested Chapman shortly afterward. Police cited him for fifth-degree misdemeanor assault, meaning he intentionally tried to harm Chase, and released him.

But Chapman told a slightly different story.

“[Chase] has been causing issues for God knows how long,” he said.

Chapman said Chase punched a hole through Chapman’s bathroom door while the two were arguing. Instead of calling the police right away, he said he lost his temper and the two began to shove one another until Chase called the police.

“Not a single punch was thrown,” Chapman said.

The police report said officers found enough evidence to cite Chapman for the assault.

Both men said they received scratches during the fight, but neither sustained serious injuries.