Former boyfriend

A 19-year-old University student was kidnapped by a former boyfriend late Thursday evening from a residence hall, according to a University Police report.
Hennepin County prosecutors charged 19-year-old Gerson Augusto Matute with felony kidnapping Monday after he drove the woman to Wisconsin without her consent.
Matute returned the student to campus about four hours later, according to the police report.
University Police Sgt. Jo Anne Benson said the former boyfriend convinced the woman to drive with him to another location in Minneapolis. Instead, he headed in the opposite direction and across state lines.
“They did cross the border into Wisconsin, but the woman convinced him to bring her back to campus,” Benson said.
University Police did not reveal the student’s identity and referred her to the Program Against Sexual Violence, a campus victim advocacy center at Boynton Health Service.
If Matute is released from police custody, the student will be moved to another residence hall for her safety. “Housing is taking this case very seriously,” Benson said.
Once the student returned to campus, she called the police from her residence hall. Police reports did not reveal the name or location of the hall.
University Police arrested Matute early Friday morning on campus. Benson then transferred the case to the Hennepin County attorney’s office.
In addition to pending criminal charges, Matute is awaiting deportation, Benson said.
Matute has no prior criminal charges in Hennepin County. Bail has been set at $75,000.
He could not be reached for comment Monday.

Megan Boldt covers crime and welcomes comments at [email protected]. She can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3224.