Schroeder racking up points for Minnesota

Image by Jennifer Whalen

Freshman forward Jordan Schroeder said he anticipated being one of the Minnesota menâÄôs hockey teamâÄôs top six scorers this season. But the highest scoring freshman in the nation? That brings out the most common response in hockey. âÄúI donâÄôt really keep track of that stuff,âÄù Schroeder said. âÄúThat stuffâÄù is the fact that he currently leads all Division I freshmen in points (14) and assists (10). âÄúI know what I have, but I donâÄôt compare really,âÄù the 5-foot-9-inch, 190-pound forward said. âÄúI just focus on the team and how the teamâÄôs doing.âÄù The team is doing just fine with MinnesotaâÄôs increased production. The No. 1 Gophers (6-0-4 overall, 5-0-3 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) are off to their best start since the 2001-2002 season when the program went 11-0-2 to start the season and eventually won their first of two straight NCAA titles. SchroederâÄôs ability to find the net is complimented well by his ability to get Minnesota the puck. The freshman forwardâÄôs 113 faceoff wins and .568 winning percentage are tops among MinnesotaâÄôs regular centers. âÄúThere really is no secret really. Being kind of a small guy, IâÄôm lower to the ice and have a better center of gravity down there,âÄù Schroeder said, adding that he adjusts his faceoff move to counter the oppositionâÄôs center. His talent has earned him two WCHA Rookie of the Week awards already this year, but his linemates donâÄôt think heâÄôs done yet. âÄúHeâÄôs got plenty more to come,âÄù junior forward Jay Barriball said. âÄúHe brings it every weekend and that not only helps the team a lot, but it helps our line a lot.âÄù Barriball would know; he and junior Ryan Stoa were matched up with Schroeder to comprise MinnesotaâÄôs top line this season. So far, the trio has combined for 41 points and rank first through third in team statistics. âÄúTheyâÄôre good hockey players,âÄù coach Don Lucia said. âÄúWhen youâÄôre playing on the power play and playing as many minutes as they are, youâÄôre going to be put in a position to score. They have the hands to make those plays.âÄù A year ago, Schroeder was leading the U.S. Under-18 team with 53 points (22 goals, 31 assists). Meanwhile, BarriballâÄôs numbers slumped and Stoa missed almost all season with an injury. But combine the three Minnesotans and the Gophers have one of the most potent lines in the league this year. âÄúThings are clicking, weâÄôre working hard and getting bounces,âÄù Stoa said. âÄúWeâÄôve got three playmakers on our line, three guys that look to move the puck. In a way weâÄôre almost too unselfish.âÄù Schroeder notes The forward is one of the top prospects who are eligible in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. This weekend, Schroeder and the top-ranked Gophers will matchup with No. 10 Denver. Pioneers freshman forward Luke Salazar leads all Division I rookies with seven goals this season.