Students need to make their voices heard on amendment to ban gay marriage

After a summer away, students returned to campus last week and are re-engaging in social and academic pursuits. As young adults, our professors and peers expect us to be aware of political happenings and exercise our civic responsibilities. The best way to do so is to stay informed. 

As many know, the Minnesota Legislature will vote to potentially include several measures on the 2012 ballot that could alter the stateâÄôs constitution.

One controversial amendment that has made it to the ballot would ban marriage for gay and lesbian citizens.

If youâÄôve kept up to date on this debate, you know that everyone from law professors to religious leaders are weighing in, and students shouldnâÄôt be the exception. 

This generation, largely, tends toward the progressive and inclusive. More than previous generations, we have more of a connection to queer culture and are more aware LGBTQ issues and rights.

As young adults, we need to make sure we are forming informed opinions and that our voices are heard. After all, we are the ones who are going to inherit this state decades from now.

These amendments will have a farther-reaching impact on this generation than any other.  Our votes count just as much as those of our parents and grandparents âÄî as long as we actually vote.  On Election Day, our generation typically has the lowest turnout rate at the polls of any generation.

It is our right and our duty to weigh in on political debates. It is crucial that we head out to the polls and take a stand on the Marriage Amendment. Without our voice, Minnesota may suffer setbacks that will take years or even decades of our lives to undo.