Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Serving the UMN community since 1900

The Minnesota Daily

Daily Email Edition

Get MN Daily NEWS delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday!


Woman shot to death near Radisson

An intoxicated University graduate student was also arrested Sunday.

According to a crime alert from the University Police Department, at approximately 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 6, University Police were dispatched to the Radisson Hotel on the East Bank, responding to a report of a woman who had suffered a gunshot wound.

According to a KSTP report, a Wisconsin eye doctor has been charged with the crime.

Police believe the motive was money.

According to the alert, officers arrived and were escorted to a hotel room by staff. There, they found a woman who was confirmed deceased by the Minneapolis Fire Department.

The 24-year-old victim is not affiliated with the University, the crime alert said.

Police tape covered an eighth-floor room the evening after the incident occurred.

Hotel manager Matt Monchamp confirmed the incident, but said he wouldn’t comment because Minneapolis Police were investigating the matter.

The Minneapolis Police Department Homicide Unit believes the shooting was not a random act and feels strongly that there is not an ongoing threat to campus, according to the alert.

Deputy Chief of University Police Steve Johnson said last week he couldn’t comment on the matter because the Minneapolis Police department was handling the investigation.

Minneapolis Police could not be reached for comment.

University student arrested for striking police officer

A University student struck an officer who responded to reports of an intoxicated male at Roy Wilkins Hall at 2 a.m. Sunday, according to police reports.

The reports state the officer handcuffed Andrew Willey, 23, after Willey reportedly struck him in the head during a struggle as the officer transported him to University Village, the student’s residence.

Johnson said the man was very intoxicated and uncooperative.

“If this person was willing to act out against the officer for no reason, who knows what would have happened later,” he said.

Willey was transported to the University of Minnesota Medical Center due to his level of intoxication. Police charged him with a gross misdemeanor for obstruction of legal process, the report states.

If officials prove Willey accompanied the act with force, violence or threat, he could face up to a year in prison, a fine of up to $3,000 or both.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Accessibility Toolbar

Comments (0)

All The Minnesota Daily Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *