Gophers cruise to WCHA final

Minnesota beat Minnesota-Duluth 4-1 on Friday night.

BEMIDJI, MINN. – The Gophers advanced to the championship game of the WCHA Final Face-Off with a 4-1 win over Minnesota-Duluth.

Minnesota will take on North Dakota on Saturday with an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament on the line.

The Bulldogs and Gophers traded goals in the second period, before Minnesota scored three in the third.

“The resiliency of our team in the third was what spoke to me,” head coach Brad Frost said. “I thought our team came together and really battled and competed and found a way to get it done.”

Minnesota is 3-1 against North Dakota this season. It was the only team to hand the Gophers a loss in the regular season.

Gophers invited to White House

The Gophers received an invitation to the White House on Friday night.

Minnesota will be honored for its 2012-13 NCAA championship on Monday in Washington D.C.

President Barack Obama will recognize members of last year’s team in a ceremony on the South Lawn.

Gophers given WCHA awards

The Gophers racked up a bunch of postseason awards Thursday at the WCHA’s postseason awards ceremony.

Sophomore forward Hannah Brandt, who leads the country in points, was named the WCHA Player of the Year.

Brandt, senior forward Kelly Terry, junior defenseman Rachel Ramsey and sophomore defenseman Milica McMillen were named to the All-WHCA First Team.

Ramsey was named the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year while Terry was the WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year.

Freshman forward Dani Cameranesi was named WCHA Rookie of the Year and and was named to the All-WCHA Rookie Team.

Senior forward Sarah Davis, junior forward Rachael Bona and sophomore goaltender Amanda Leveille were named to the All-WCHA Second Team.