Uhl leads Gophers past USC

Sophomore forward Taylor Uhl had two goals and an assist in Minnesota’s 4-1 win Sunday.

Sophomore forward Taylor Uhl led the Gophers past Southern California 4-1 on Sunday in Los Angeles, Ca.

After scoring two goals with an assist, Uhl has now scored a goal in eight straight games, an extension of a school record that she broke earlier this season.

Minnesota (2-2-0) allowed a goal in the 25th minute of the game, but Uhl tied it less than a minute later, assisted by freshman Haley Helverson.

Shortly after, sophomore Taylor Wodnick scored the eventual game-winner unassisted on a rebound for her first goal of the season.

USC narrowly outshot Minnesota 16-15, but goalie Cat Parkhill blanked the Trojans for the rest of the game.

Uhl’s second goal helped the Gophers cement their lead with nearly 20 minutes left. USC goalie Caroline Stanley came out of the net for a one-on-one, but Uhl bested her for a second time.

Senior midfielder Allie Phillips assisted on Uhl’s second goal, and four minutes later, Uhl returned the favor, delivering a long pass to Phillips, who scored to extend Minnesota’s lead to 4-1.

The Gophers leave California after a 1-1 road trip. They lost 3-2 in double overtime Friday to San Diego.

Minnesota will return to Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium on Aug. 30 to host Bowling Green at 7 p.m.