Student-athlete Graduation Success Rates at all-time high

Ten of the 11 women’s sports posted rates of 80 percent or higher.

University of Minnesota student-athletes recorded an all-time high Graduation Success Rate of 80 percent, according to the NCAAâÄôs GSR report released Tuesday.

The GSR, released by the NCAA annually since 2005, measures the graduation rate of student-athletes based on the year they enrolled in college, not their graduation year.

The 80-percent mark, which is the national average, applies to University student-athletes whose freshman year was 2004-05, as well as athletes who entered mid-year and transfer athletes.

Over the past four years, the UniversityâÄôs student-athlete GSR has increased steadily from 72, 76 and 79 to the current 80 percent.

âÄúWeâÄôre pleased the Graduation Success Rate is going in the right direction,âÄù athletics director Joel Maturi said. âÄúThe numbers show we still have a ways to go to see the success that we want.âÄù

MinnesotaâÄôs 80-percent rate ranks ninth out of the 12 Big Ten schools, with newly added Nebraska posting the lowest rate of 74 percent.

WomenâÄôs programs at Minnesota excelled with 10 of the 11 sports reaching GSRs of 80 percent or better.

Five of the 10 menâÄôs sports posted GSR scores of 80 percent or higher, with hockey making the largest improvement from 57 to 68 percent.

âÄúI believe the coaches in place are doing a very good job of recruiting the right people and holding young people accountable,âÄù Maturi said. âÄúI believe you will see those numbers rise in the future.âÄù

MenâÄôs basketball, football, wrestling and hockey have the lowest Graduation Success Rates, posting 43, 59, 67 and 68 percents, respectively.

The NCAA also released the Federal Graduation Rates, which, unlike the GSR, are considered less accurate because they count academically eligible transfer students and those who pursue professional careers in their sport as non-graduates of the University.

The FGR for Gophers student-athletes fell to 64 percent for those who enrolled in 2004-05, compared to the 70-percent FGR for all students that year.