New Graduate School dean named

Henning Schroeder, associate dean at the University of Minnesota School of Pharmacy since 2007, has been named the new Graduate School dean.

After months of uncertainty and a subsequent reorganization, the University of Minnesota Graduate School has a new dean. Henning Schroeder, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies at the College of Pharmacy and a pharmaceutics professor, was named vice provost and dean of graduate education Monday by Provost Tom Sullivan. âÄúDr. Schroeder has demonstrated that he is an exceptional scholar and a thoughtful, collegial and highly respected academic leader who will foster excellence and provide strategic direction for graduate education,âÄù Sullivan said in a statement. The appointment will be voted on at next weekâÄôs Board of Regents meeting, and, if approved, would take effect on January 19, 2010. Schroeder, who has been at the University since 2007, said he is looking forward to serving the University community. âÄúI know that this appointment comes with great responsibilities, particularly in times when we have to compete with graduate programs not only at a national level but worldwide,âÄù he said in a statement. The appointment was made after an extensive internal search where Schroeder ultimately emerged as the best choice, said Sharon Reich Paulsen, associate vice president and chief of staff for the ProvostâÄôs Office. âÄúHe has demonstrated that he is an absolutely exceptional scholar and a very highly respected academic leader who is good at finding a strategic direction in academic matters,âÄù Reich Paulsen said. Former vice provost and dean of graduate education Gail Dubrow resigned last spring following the decision to restructure the Graduate School. Kristi Kremers, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly, said while the organization had concerns about the timing of the selection process, members are âÄúultimately extremely happy with the outcome.âÄù Kremers said Schroeder is interested in moving toward a more collaborative approach of leadership and also believes strongly in transparency in administration. She also cited his understanding of âÄúthe holistic graduate student experienceâÄù and desire to include students in decisions as positive characteristics. âÄúWe need this to recover from some of the turmoil the school has faced,âÄù Kremers said. âÄúWeâÄôre really pleased that this is moving in a more positive direction.âÄù