Gophers add eight recruits for 2020 class

The recruiting class ranks 23rd nationally according to 247sports.
Head coach P.J. Fleck talks to the team on April 13, 2019 in the indoor football practice facility in Athletes Village.
Image by Tony Saunders
Head coach P.J. Fleck talks to the team on April 13, 2019 in the indoor football practice facility in Athlete’s Village.

P.J. Fleck’s signature Twitter spotlight went off more than a few times over the weekend as Gophers football received eight verbal commitments to their 2020 class.

Defensive ends Claude Larkins Jr. and Melle Kreuder, cornerbacks Benjamin Onwuzo and Jalen Glaze and offensive tackle Aireontae Ersery all took to Twitter within hours of each other on Saturday to announce that they will be heading to the University of Minnesota in 2020 to continue their football careers. 

Larkins, according to 247 Sports, is a three-star defensive end who stands at 6-foot-4 and weighs 230 pounds. He attends Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Hollywood, Florida. Amongst the schools he had offers from were the University of Arkansas, Baylor and Buffalo. He will bring a familiar face with him to Minnesota. 

Bejamin Onwuzo, Larkins’ teammate at Chaminade-Madonna Prep, also committed to the Gophers Saturday. According to 247 Sports, Onwuzo is a three-star cornerback. The 5-foot-11 cornerback weighs 185 pounds. He chose the Gophers over Appalachian State, Boston College and Colorado State, who were amongst the 22 schools he received scholarship offers from.

With his commitment, Melle Kreuder became the second international prospect for Fleck’s 2020 recruiting class. Cornerback Richard Agyekum from the Netherlands committed to Minnesota earlier this week. Kreuder, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound defensive end, hails from Germany. According to 247 Sports, Kreuder had offers from Buffalo and the University of Massachusetts.

Kansas City three-star offensive tackle Aireontae Ersery from Ruskin High School decided to pass up in-state offers from Kansas and Kansas State. Ersery is the 74th-best offensive tackle in the 2020 class, according to 247 Sports. 

Jalen Glaze was the fifth recruit to commit to the Gophers on Saturday night. Glaze is a three-star cornerback according to 247 Sports. The 6-foot, 185-pound Lincoln High School and Tallahassee Florida native chose the Gophers over Georgia, Louisville and Texas A&M, among other schools. As a junior for Lincoln in 2018, Glaze had 76 total tackles and six interceptions, according to Max Preps. 

Since Saturday’s recruiting blitz, three recruits have pledged to become Golden Gophers. One on Sunday and two on Monday. 

Michael Dixon a defensive back from Statesboro, Georgia committed to the Gophers on Sunday. Dixon is a three-star safety from Statesboro High School according to 247 Sports.

Dylan McGill, an athlete (ATH) from Mesquite, Texas chose Minnesota over smaller schools such as Grambling State and Stephen F. Austin on Monday. McGill is a three-star recruit according to 247 Sports. As a junior for Mesquite High School McGill played quarterback and averaged 118 yards per game through the air and over six yards per rush, according to Max Preps. It is unknown if he will play quarterback for the Gophers. 

Cornerback Victor Pless from Kennesaw, Georgia also committed to the Gophers on Monday. Like McGill, Pless is a three-star recruit according to 247 Sports. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound Harrison High School player chose the Gophers over more than 20 other offers, among others.

With all of the recent commitments, the Gophers 2020 class now has 16 recruits, with the team’s national recruiting class ranked on 247 sports at spot 23 and number 5 in the Big Ten.