Vet students host spring open house

Information sessions and facility tours were two activities at the St. Paul event.

Tongues wagged, wings flapped and galoshes skipped through puddles.

A menagerie of animals and the humans who love them braved cloudy skies and rainy streets to meet Sunday on the University’s St. Paul campus.

The College of Veterinary Medicine and the Raptor Center had their spring open house, organized by the first-year class of the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Event organizers and first-year students Jenny Revermann, Britt Peters and Jessie Thomas said they expected to see about 2,000 community members and students turn out.

In addition to tours and information sessions at the college and Raptor Center, the event showcased student and local animal organizations.

The open house was also an opportunity for the college to showcase its programs to interested high school and undergraduate students.

Interactive displays at the Raptor Center and Veterinary Medical Center were geared toward teaching children about animals and the environment.

Lisa Koch, director of education at the Raptor Center, said the event was a way to connect with Twin Cities residents.

“The primary goal is to educate the community about raptors and the raptor center,” she said.

The Gopher Poultry Science Club was one of about 10 student organizations at Sunday’s event.

Club member Hope Kassube said the organization has been on campus for about three years. She said their primary goal is to help students interested in working in the poultry industry make connections with professionals.

Kassube said the group sometimes makes omelets together, as well.

Students showcased llamas, sheep, a cow and a horse in a petting zoo in the livestock pavilion.

Sara Jacobsen Bergmann, first-year veterinary medicine and public health student, said she enjoyed seeing the children at the petting zoo.

“It’s fun to interact with the community and show them what we do,” she said.

Sheryl Proch of Anoka said she and her family came with her son’s Boy Scout troop. She said her children enjoyed the activities and she saw it as a way to find out more about the University’s programs and centers.

“I forget about everything there is to offer,” she said. “This is what the kids really like and remember.”