University of Minnesota students robbed at light rail station, sent to hospital

Two University of Minnesota students were approached around 1 a.m. and assaulted after refusing to surrender their wallets.

A light rail Green Line train crosses University Avenue in Minneapolis on Monday night. According to Metro Transit, there has been about $3 billion in development along the Green Line corridor since construction began in 2010.

James Healy

Dylan Anderson

Two University of Minnesota students were sent to the hospital after resisting an attempted robbery on campus early Wednesday morning, according to a campuswide email. 

Two male students were on the Green Line East Bank Station around 1 a.m. Wednesday when two suspects “verbally harassed” them and told them to hand over their wallets. The suspects began to physically assault the students when they refused to surrender the wallets. Shortly after, the suspects fled the station.

The victims were sent to the hospital for further evaluation with bruising and cuts on their faces, according to the email notice. There is no description of the suspects at this time.

Metro Transit Police is investigating the crime and urges anyone with information to call 612-349-7222.