U women earn

The Gophers women’s tennis team lost 4-3 to Wisconsin on Sunday in Madison to finish with a split in this weekend’s matches.
Minnesota, which won 4-3 against Iowa on Saturday, is now 11-5 overall, 4-2 in the Big Ten.
Senior Tarah Elkins’ match at No. 4 singles was the deciding factor. Elkins lost to Dena Baritot, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 to clinch the match.
Junior Nora Sauska had her seven-match winning streak broken when she lost 6-4, 6-1 to Barbara Urbanska. Urbanska is the highest ranked Big Ten player at No. 44.
Minnesota won the doubles point on wins by Elkins and Sitinee Rangsithienchai, 8-4 at No. 2, and Sauska and Jen Howard 8-4 at No. 3.
The Gophers and Iowa split in singles matches on Saturday, but the Gophers won the doubles point to beat the Hawkeyes in Iowa City.
Elkins and Rangsithienchai won their doubles match at No. 2, and Sauska and Howard won their match at No. 3 for the doubles point.
Sauska won her singles match at No. 1 with a 7-6, 7-5 win over Toni Neykova. Junior Kim Simonsen also won at No. 2 for Minnesota, beating Sheri Wiegler 6-4, 6-3. Sophomore Tammy Wang made her spring season debut in singles with a 6-4, 7-6 win at No. 6.
Minnesota will host Michigan and Michigan State this weekend.
Men’s tennis
Minnesota swept Iowa and Wisconsin this weekend at the 98th Street Racquet Club in Bloomington. The Gophers improved their record to 10-9 overall, 5-2 in the conference.
Sophomore Tyson Parry and freshman Thomas Haug won their matches at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively. Haug is 7-0 in conference matches.
Senior Martin Kristoffersen and junior Martin Michalowski won 8-3 at No. 1 doubles. Adam Selkirk and Parry won 8-5 at No. 2, and freshman Ryan Davies and Haug won 8-5 at No. 3 for the doubles sweep.
On Friday, Minnesota beat the Badgers 5-2.
Haug, Selkirk, Parry and Michalowski all won their singles matches, and only Haug was pushed to a third set.
The Gophers won the first two doubles matches for the doubles point. Kristoffersen and Michalowski won 8-6 at No. 1, and Parry and Selkirk won 8-5 at No. 2 position.
Minnesota will travel to Michigan to take on the Wolverines on Thursday, and Michigan State on Friday.
Men’s gymnastics
Five gymnasts represented the University at the NCAA East Regional Saturday in Champaign, Ill., in an effort to qualify for the NCAA championships April 22-24.
Senior Jason Krob took first place in the pommel horse event. Krob will now make his second appearance at the championships, where he last competed as a sophomore.
Men’s track and field
Minnesota posted several top finishes at the Hayward Relays at Oregon Saturday.
The Gophers took three out of the top four spots in the high jump, including sophomore Marc Johannsen, who won the event.
Senior captain Tyler McCormick was victorious in the long jump, sophomore Justin Asher took second in the discus and sophomore Steve Burkholder finished second in the 200-meter dash.
Women’s track and field
Minnesota throwers came away from the Hayward Relays with notable performances in numerous events.
Sophomore Aubrey Schmitt captured the title in the shot put and junior Nicole Chimko won the javelin. In the hammer throw, the Gophers’ Beth Howard finished second and Angie Hill fourth. Sophomore Brenda Meyer led Minnesota in the discus, placing third overall.
ù Junior All-American Rasa Michniovaite posted an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 4:23.95 seconds in the 1,500-meter run at the Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, Ariz., this weekend.
Junior Christine Gulbrandsen tied her own school record in the pole vault with a throw of 11-1 3/4 inches for fourth place. She also placed third in the triple jump at 40-1 1/2 inches.
Minna Haronoja finished fourth in the 3,000-meter run and Neketa Sears fifth in the 100-meter hurdles.
Women’s soccer
A groundbreaking ceremony for the new Minnesota soccer stadium will take place on Tuesday, April 13, on Cleveland Avenue, just north of Larpenteur in Falcon Heights.
The ceremony begins at 4 p.m. and is open to the public.
Women’s athletic director Chris Voelz, Gophers head coach Sue Montagne and members of the team will participate.
The stadium’s grand opening is set for Minnesota’s home opener on Sept. 4.