MSA passes resolution supporting on-campus Gophers football

The Minnesota Student Association passed a resolution Tuesday supporting the return of Gopher football to the University campus.

The move comes one day after the University and the Minnesota Vikings parted ways on constructing an NFL-size stadium on a site just east of Mariucci and Williams arenas.

“We want to make sure this issue doesn’t go away,” said MSA Vice President Eric Dyer, who authored the resolution.

The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly jointly supported the statement. It is the first time both student government organizations combined to support a resolution, representatives said.

On Saturday, the University’s Alumni Association’s National Board also passed a similar resolution calling for the return of the collegiate team to campus.

Support for Gopher football has been growing since discussions between the University and Vikings regarding a stadium began nearly two years ago.

But neighborhood community members voiced their opposition to building a stadium for the Vikings, citing noise and traffic problems. They did support a smaller stadium that would be used solely by the University.

GAPSA President Chris Frazier said a new stadium should not be a priority for the University but that it should use the current momentum to explore options for bringing Gopher football to campus.