Gophers finish 11th at the Hurricane Invitational

Heather Ciskowski ended with a score of 217 and tied for 24th place overall.
Gophers sophomore Heather Ciskowski tees off at the Minikahda Club during the Minnesota Invitational on Sept. 15.
Image by Alex Tuthill-Preus, Daily File Photo
The Gophers traveled to Florida for the second time in the spring season to compete in the Hurricane Invitational, which wrapped up on Wednesday.

Minnesota finished 11th out of 16 schools at the tournament, with a team total of 878, its second-lowest score of the season.

“This is a … really young team,” head coach Michele Redman said. “I like the fact that we’re improving. … For me right now, it’s about us making the right putts at the right time and getting some momentum going.”

The Gophers’ top golfer at the event, which took place at the Biltmore Golf Club in Miami, Fla., was sophomore Heather Ciskowski. She tied for 24th place with a three-day total of 217, which is only two strokes off of her career-best score.

“As the week went on, she continued to strike the ball better. Not being able to [practice] outside, everybody has had some rust,” Redman said. “As the week wore on, a lot of that came off for Heather and a lot of the other girls.”

Freshman Muyu Wu tied for 36th with a score of 220, and junior Emie Peronnin tied for 41st with a 221.

Minnesota shot a 292 in the first round and ended the first day in a tie for sixth place. 

The Gophers fell off by three strokes on the second day but posted the lowest score in the third round with a 291.

Ciskowski and sophomore Sabrine Garrison tied for the lowest round score for Minnesota. Ciskowski shot a 71 in the third round, while Garrison earned the same score in the first round.