Carlson reports notably high job placement rates

Carlson School of Management graduates are finding jobs at rates that far exceed national averages.

While 2009 graduates are facing the toughest job market in recent history, graduates from the University of MinnesotaâÄôs Carlson School of Management have reported finding jobs at rates far exceeding national levels, according to recent data reported by the school. The undergraduate program at Carlson reported job placement rates of 86 percent within three months of graduation among its 2009 graduates. In comparison, the national employment upon graduation rate is about 19.7 percent, as reported by the National Association of Colleges and EmployersâÄô 2009 Student Survey. Nationally, graduation employment rates have declined from 26 percent in 2008 and 51 percent in 2007 . Graduation employment rates at Carlson have declined slightly, down from 94 percent in 2008 and 97 percent in 2006 . Morgan Wright, director of the Undergraduate Business Career Center at Carlson , said while the career center does a lot to help students with job placement, it canâÄôt take full credit for the high placement ratings. âÄúOur students have been fabulous at going out there and pounding the pavement extra hard in the down economy,âÄù Wright said. Wright said the professional development of Carson students is âÄúmore of a community approach,âÄù and attributes student success to the schoolâÄôs alumni, faculty and staff as well as the individuals and the career center. Third year Carson undergraduate student Bart Bailey cited CarlsonâÄôs reputation as having the biggest influence in his decision to attend the University. âÄúThe perception of Carlson is above and beyond the rest,âÄù Bailey said, adding that he thinks having the Carlson name on his résumé will definitely help him in finding a job when he graduates. Though the average starting salary for 2009 Carlson graduates of $48,609 is slightly down from the 2008 average of $49,169, it is still above the average national starting salary for new business administration and management positions at $45,788. Other colleges throughout the University have noticed similar job placement trends, according to their individually reported graduation employment rates. The Institute of Technology reported a 96 percent employment rate within 6 months of graduation , said Darren Kaltved, associate department director for career services for IT . Nationally, the ratio of internship offerings to private job offers has shifted, and IT graduates are seeing an increase in internship offerings upwards of 25 percent due to the more vocational nature of the work, Kaltved said . Internship positions usually compensate on hourly pay systems, which usually result in lesser annual salaries. âÄúThings have actually been better than anticipated, but certainly not ideal,âÄù Kaltved said. Mark Bultmann, director of student services for the College of Education and Human Development, said that while CEHD graduates have reported challenges in finding jobs when they leave the University, the college is in continuous contact with professionals in the field and utilizes their input when developing curriculum. âÄúWeâÄôre always trying to keep an ear to our employers that hire our grads to listen to what they have to say,âÄù Bultmann said, adding that the college is âÄúvery much in tuneâÄù with what employers are looking for due to that contact.