Robberies near the University

As a University of Minnesota student, I am beginning to question my safety around campus. These crime report emails that are sent to students do nothing but tell us to be more careful and stay in groups when walking around late at night. Three out of the four robberies from Sunday morning happened to people who were walking in groups.

I think University police need to do more than just step up patrols. Police have added patrols before, and I have even noticed them more often when I am walking late at night, but these patrols have not solved the crime problem so far.

UMPD needs to figure out why criminals feel so comfortable committing crimes around campus. Adding lighting and video cameras to streets surrounding the campus area might deter those who think nobody is watching.

– Andrew Kolo, University student

On Monday, Oct. 14, four separate assaults and robberies were committed on or near the University of Minnesota campus. Within four hours on a Monday night, several students were stripped of their security and left with only a crime report or an injury.

As a University of Minnesota student, it is of no surprise that the numerous crime alert emails that I receive from University police are unsettling.

I have been a resident of the University campus for the past four years and have never seen such frequent and uncontrollable crime.

The criminal acts that took place last Monday were only a fraction of the number of assaults and robberies that have been reported on or near the University campus this fall.

According to UMPD, there were 16 simple assaults, aggravated assaults and personal robberies around the University’s  Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses in September. In the first three weeks of October there were 12 similar reports in the same area.

In the article, University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said staying sober is one way to stay safe, but blaming alcohol for criminal issues affecting college students is just a cop out and is getting old.

According to UMPD, there have been reported robberies and assaults occurring even in the afternoon while students are walking to work or class. There have been crime reports occurring at varying times on numerous areas of campus. Regardless if a victim has consumed alcohol, the reality is that the reported crimes could happen to anyone. Sobriety does not protect against a gun.

UMPD’s crime alerts advise students to walk in groups in order to prevent crimes. Although it is a helpful tip, many of the victims of the many robberies and assaults were reportedly walking in groups.

UMPD has issued countless crime alert emails to University students. However, the repetitive after-the-fact notifications seem to have little success in preventing crime on campus and protecting the students.

– Laura Hinueber, University student