The Gopher wrestlin…

The Gopher wrestling squad announced Thursday that Damion Hahn has signed a national letter of intent to attend Minnesota.
Hahn, of Lakewood, N.J., is the No. 1 high school wrestler in the nation of any weight class according to various wrestling publications and the National Wrestling Coaches Association.
He is a two-time Junior National Freestyle Champion, and a four-time Junior Olympic Champion. Hahn has won 64 consecutive matches, and is 94-2 overall.
“Landing Damion Hahn is another big step in bringing our program to the top,” head assistant coach Marty Morgan said. “He had it narrowed down to Oklahoma State and us and usually at that point we lose them, but it was different this time.”
Diamond recruits
Minnesota baseball coach John Anderson announced that three top recruits have signed national letters of intent to play for the Gophers beginning in the 2000 season.
David Roach, a 6-1, 180-pound left-handed first baseman from Clearwater, Fla., was all-conference as a junior. He hit .418 with four homeruns in 27 games.
Luke Appert, a 6-0, 175-pound middle infielder from Park of Cottage Grove High School is a two-time St. Paul Suburban all-conference pick after batting .452 in 23 games.
Ben Hendrickson is a 6-4, 180-pound right-handed pitcher from Bloomington Jefferson High School in Bloomington, MN. Hendrickson was named all-conference in the Lake Conference after leading his team in wins, strikeouts and innings pitched.
Swimming recruits
The Gophers men’s swimming and diving team has signed eight athletes to letters of intent.
Allen Ong, a native of Mission Viejo, Ca., was a U.S. National Qualifier in both the 100 freestyle and butterfly.
Aaron Wood, who swims for Woodbury High School, was the 1998 Minnesota State High School Champion in the 200 individual medley.
Todd Smolinski is the Indiana state record holder in the 100-yard backstroke and a four-time All-American.
Jeff Hackler was a U.S. National Qualifier in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke.
Nick Toumanoff, from Pewaukee, Wis., placed third in the 500 free and fifth in the 200 free at the 1998 Wisconsin High School Championships. He also swam at the U.S. Junior Championships.
Michael Mahoney is the 1998 Minnesota State High School Champion in the 100 back for Edina, and an All-American selection.
Matt Taylor, from Shorewood, MN., is an All-American from Minnetonka High School, and the state champion in the 200 free and 500 free.
Mark Atwood, of Alexandria, MN., is an All-American and the 1998 Section Eight Swimmer of the Year.