U students rally for CSOM funds

The school is asking a Senate committee to include $1.7 million in the Legislature’s bonding bill.

Approximately 25 students supported the Carlson School of Management at a state Senate committee meeting Thursday.

Carlson School Dean Larry Benveniste asked the committee to include $1.7 million for planning Carlson School’s expansion in the Legislature’s bonding bill.

The money would be used to plan and design an undergraduate classroom building.

Benveniste said the state bonding bill will be leveraged against private donations.

“We need the state to show its commitment to the project,” he said.

Benveniste said one-third of construction projects are typically funded by private donations and two-thirds by public funding.

“To build this building we need significant private money,” he said. “Investors must be confident that the public money will be there.”

The building is projected to cost between $25 million and $30 million. The project has been collecting private donations and is tentatively scheduled to be completed in 2007.

Assistant Dean Mary Kosir said the Carlson School has approximately 450 spaces for students each year and approximately 3,000 applicants.

Kosir said the school has become too exclusive and it loses high-achieving students.

Once the project is completed, the Carlson School’s admissions capacity should double, Benveniste said.

“By every sense of the word, our institution is a private-public investment and it’s very important that we keep the public end up,” Kosir said.

Student Legislative Action Partnership helped organize student support for the committee hearing.

University junior and group member Shannon Peloquin said students should become more involved at the Legislature.

“There’s no reason students shouldn’t be taking more responsibility for their education,” she said.

“If you don’t take the responsibility, what do you have to be complaining about?” she said.

University senior Mark Gough said it is important the bonding bill passes in the Senate because every qualified student should have access to the Carlson School.

“But I think (Gov. Tim) Pawlenty will have the final call,” he said.

University junior and legislative action group member Britta Anderson said she feels it is her duty to contribute to the Carlson School’s future.

“People ask why we care because we won’t be here when the building is finished in 2007,” she said.

“I feel students should support the University as much as they can,” she said. “It’s been a big part of my life.”