Burglar receives wounds from occupant of home

Early Tuesday, a group of four males attempted to burglarize a house near campus.

Instead of making off with loot, one of the burglars received more than one stab wound, said Bob Skomra, commander of Minneapolis Precinct 2.

One of the occupants of the house near the superblock confronted the burglars after they forced their way inside, stabbing one of them “more than once,” Skomra said.

He said the burglars fled the scene and police arrived to find no suspects.

Coincidentally, Caitlin Barta, a student at Normandale Community College in Bloomington, said she was driving to her boyfriend’s house when she saw a bleeding man trying to flag her down.

“My first instinct was to slam on the brakes and help him,” Barta said, “but then I thought about where I was and that wasn’t smart.”

Instead, Barta said she slowed down and called 911 to get help for the man. Within minutes, police and an ambulance arrived on the scene to take him to Hennepin County Medical Center, police said.

Once at the hospital, the man claimed he had been stabbed and robbed on the street. Skomra said police put two and two together and arrested the man. Skomra said he believed the man was charged with first-degree burglary Wednesday afternoon.

Barta expressed disbelief with a resounding, “Oh my God!” when she learned of the man’s involvement in the attempted burglary.

“If I would have let him in the car, he would have robbed me!” she said. “It’s a good thing he’s going to jail now.”

Barta said she plans to transfer to the University next semester, but said she won’t live anywhere near campus.

“It’s sad that this is the way the world is now,” she said.

Assault at The Lodge

An assault occurred early Monday at the Chi Psi fraternity on University Avenue Southeast.

According to the police report, officers and emergency medical services responded to a call at the fraternity shortly before 2 a.m. for an unconscious female.

While on the scene, a member of the fraternity assaulted one of the paramedics, police said.

Attacking a police officer, paramedic or firefighter elevates a simple assault to fourth-degree assault, a felony.

Jordan Corning, a fraternity member not involved in the incident, said the fraternity is working with police and the University to rectify the situation. He declined to comment further.

Interfraternity Council President Alec Catsuros said a judicial board hearing will be held Wednesday to review the details of the incident and decide if any punishments will be handed down.

He said the board meeting will take place as per the new risk management policy created last fall. He declined any further comment about the details of the incident.