Reports of indecent exposure lead to arrest

Also, the ASCE Student Chapter office was broken into Friday night.

A Minneapolis man was arrested Sunday in the Southeast Como neighborhood after University of Minnesota police responded to reports of a man exposing himself in front of an apartment building. Roger Peterson, 59, fit the description of a person seen looking into the windows of an apartment building and masturbating, according to a University police report. The police officers were responding to a call by a concerned citizen who saw Peterson performing the activity when they spotted him a few blocks away from the building in question, the report said. The officers stopped Peterson, who fit the callerâÄôs description, on 13th Avenue Southeast, the report said. The officers told him he was being detained, but Peterson refused to get off his bike, the report said. The officers had to physically remove him. Peterson then lifted up a stick, which prompted the officers to take him to the ground, the report said. The officers told Peterson after he repeatedly refused to cooperate that he was being detained because he matched the description of a suspect who had been exposing himself, the report said. Peterson was eventually handcuffed and put in the back of the squad car. A witness was brought to the scene and positively identified Peterson, the report said. Peterson was arrested for obstructing the legal process, because officers thought there was a good chance he would repeat the activity, the report said. Peterson was taken to Hennepin County Jail, where a deputy asked him if he saw a doctor regularly, the report said. Peterson said, âÄúWell, IâÄôve been told that I play with myself too much,âÄù according to the report. University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said students should always take care when undressing near a window, because they could potentially make themselves a target for people who engage in this kind of behavior. ASCE student chapter burglarized The office of the American Society of Civil Engineers Student Chapter in the Civil Engineering Building was broken into late Friday night. When ASCE members arrived Saturday morning to open up, they discovered that two computer monitors were knocked over, change was scattered across the floor and the cabinet doors where the office kept its lockbox were flung open, according to a University police report. The report said officers examined the office door and the cabinet door and found signs of forced entry on both. The only thing found missing from the lockbox was $100 to $200 in cash, the report said. Miner said there were no cameras on the floor of the building where the crime took place, nor was there any video that showed suspicious activity in relation to the crime. He said the report showed nothing was damaged other than the two doors.