3 U students charged in Madison melee

At least three University students were among those arrested and charged following last weekend’s disturbances in Madison, Wis.

The Dane County Sheriff’s Office released the names of 10 Minnesotans allegedly involved in the post-Halloween incidents.

The three University students are Matthew Hoholik, 19, who was charged with underage drinking; Nathan Hubert, 24, who was charged with disorderly conduct; and Jacki Rust, 20, who was charged with underage drinking and disorderly conduct. All three were released from jail after posting bail.

A former University student, Jonah Fields, 22, was also charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

University officials said they have worked with Madison police to find out which of the people cited or arrested in the disturbance were University students.

Under a new student conduct code enacted in June, students who participate in riots at or after University events can be disciplined or expelled.

Students who participated in the Madison disturbance will not be disciplined under the code because the incidents were not associated with a University event. They will, however, receive a letter from the University expressing concern.

“We want to let students know they are creating a record for themselves,” Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs Jerry Rinehart said. “The University has higher expectations.”

He added that information from the event could be a factor in deciding future disciplinary actions.

Hoholik said he hopes the fact that he was arrested the night before the largest disturbance will mean fewer University consequences.

Hoholik, who was arrested between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. Saturday, said police stopped him for a “sudden pedestrian movement.”

He said traffic was at a standstill when he stepped into the street to talk to someone in a car.

“(Police) came up to me and asked me if I had been drinking on State Street,” Hoholik said.

Hoholik, who said he had been drinking at a house party, told police he denied he had been drinking on State Street. Police handcuffed him, accused him of lying and threatened to put him in a psychological ward for being uncooperative, he said.

Minnesota residents were singled out and treated unfairly by the police, said Hoholik, who spent the night in jail.

“They weren’t very cordial. It was a bunch of cops that were trying to meet their end-of-the-month quotas,” he said.

Of more than 300 people cited or arrested by police over the Halloween weekend, Madison police officer Larry Kamholz said about 27 percent were Minnesota residents.