Students should get behind Dan Miller

Start by participating in the Ward 2 precinct caucuses at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

The presidential election might be over, but there is still a very important election ahead of us. Tuesday are the precinct caucuses for Minneapolis City Council. In order to have a student voice in city politics, it is imperative that students get involved in the election and support Dan Miller for Ward 2.

You might wonder why you should care about the City Council, Minneapolis’ governing body, in the first place. Just think about how much time you spend in the city. Do you ever go running in the city parks, study in a city coffee shop or park in a city lot? The City Council’s decisions have a very real and direct effect on your life. Depending on how active students become and who we support, we could have a significant effect on City Council elections, and thus gain a stronger voice in what happens to our city.

Miller is undoubtedly the best candidate for City Council, and the only candidate who truly cares about the University and its students. A graduate student, Miller has made civic engagement a main element of his platform. He wants to make decisions based on the ideas and interests of his constituents, not what will further any political career or make him popular with his colleagues. He is genuine and honest, someone who wants to get into politics because he truly believes the people have the power to make a difference, not just uphold the status quo. While all the candidates have experience, he is the only candidate who has actual plans and ideas for the city, and the only candidate with the energy and vision to make those plans real.

The most fundamental step in electing Miller is attending the precinct caucuses for Ward 2 at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Anne Sullivan Communications Center at 3100 28th St. E. In just one Tuesday night, we can secure a strong, energetic voice on the City Council. By showing up, you have a direct effect.

Gather friends together, find a car pool, go for pizza before and a movie after, make a night of it, take a break from homework – however you get there (and transportation can be provided), take a couple hours to make an important difference in city politics. Former Sen. Paul Wellstone, D-Minn., once said, “We can remake the world daily.” This optimism and sincerity is what drives Miller to run for political office; let it drive you to the precinct caucuses Tuesday. If you want more information about Miller, visit www.danmiller2005.org.

Abby Bar-Lev is a University student. Please send comments to [email protected].