Halftime Report: Gophers lead Iowa 35-7

For the second straight week, Minnesota found itself down before its offense took the field. However, thanks to a 28-point second quarter, the Gophers find themselves up 35-7 at halftime.

After Iowa scored on their first possession, the Gophers responded with an opening drive touchdown of their own.  Junior receiver KJ Maye capped off the drive with a 9-yard touchdown run. Maye has been featured a couple times in the run game so far today and has 53 yards and a touchdown to show for it.

The game remained deadlocked until the Gophers first play of the second quarter when redshirt sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner found sophomore receiver Donovahn Jones for a 44-yard touchdown pass to give the Gophers a 14-7 lead.

Surprisingly, Minnesota’s first half success has come without a big half from senior running back David Cobb. Cobb has rushed for 50 yards and one touchdown but was bottled up for most of the first quarter.

However, Minnesota has been shredding Iowa through the air as Leidner has thrown for 106 yards and 3 touchdowns. 25 of those yards came from redshirt sophomore tight end Maxx William’s ridiculous sideline catch, dragging his toe along the turf to stay in bounds. Four plays later, Williams pulled in a 9-yard touchdown catch to extend the Gophers lead to 21-7. Williams would later add a 4-yard touchdown catch to give him two touchdowns on the day.

Minnesota played the first two series of the game without their stud linebacker Damien Wilson. Freshman linebacker Everett Williams started in Wilson’s place. Wilson returned to the field for the Gophers third series and played the rest of the half.

Minnesota’s defense has forced three turnovers so far today, including freshman defensive lineman Steven Richardson forced fumble after sacking Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock. The turnover helped set up Cobb’s 6-yard touchdown run.

Minnesota will start the second half with the ball.