Help your newspaper become better

We are working to increase diversity and reader relations with a multicultural council.

Whether you are a returning student or new to campus, this paper is yours. No matter what community you belong to, beliefs you hold or ideas you have, this paper is for you. Embrace it.

It’s a new year and new leadership for The Minnesota Daily, which means new challenges and changes. I will be writing a monthly column to engage you – the reader, the community member – and to help us inform each other. It is extremely important that the University community understand our role and how to get involved. The following are some of our goals for the Daily and its relationship with the University community.

Diversity

In the past, the Daily has not done enough to represent the many different people and communities in its staff and news coverage. Last year a revolution began. Then-Editor in Chief Jake Weyer – along with many others, including myself – worked aggressively to diversify the Daily’s staff and news coverage. I will work to further those efforts.

The multicultural council, which will meet to discuss diversity issues, will hold the Daily accountable for our goals to diversify staff and coverage. Council members will represent the campus community. The multicultural council will soon meet to flush out a mission statement, discuss goals and coverage.

A council meeting doesn’t have to take place for you to voice your opinions. We want to know what you think about the Daily. We depend on and need to hear from you.

Visibility

We want your feedback. Without it, the newspaper – and the organization – will not improve. It is not my goal to become just a figurehead, invisible to the community.

I will be writing this column each month as a way to connect with you, as readers and community members. It’s a way to update you and inform you on what’s happening at the Daily, as well as to hold us accountable for goals the Daily plans to reach.

We plan to hold public meetings on campus to discuss the Daily and various aspects of its coverage and get your feedback. The Daily is unique in that it constantly changes and improves. What you have to say is valuable in that process.

Overall improvement

The Daily is strives to fulfill our mission:

1. To provide coverage of news and events affecting the University community.

2. To provide a forum for the communication and exchange of ideas for the University community.

3. To provide educational training and experience to University students in all areas of newspaper operations.

4. To operate a fiscally responsible organization to ensure its ability to serve the University in the future.

An exciting year is ahead of us. Expect in-depth and dependable news coverage. Expect an updated Web site and regular multimedia content. Expect new features, a wider variety of viewpoints in our editorials/opinions section, and continued improvements to our widely read A&E and Sports sections. If you have any comments or questions, contact us. This is your newspaper. Embrace it. Help us make a difference in the community.

Britt Johnsen is editor in chief of The Minnesota Daily. Please send comments to [email protected].