UDS offers expanded menu options after reviewing student survey results

Bubble tea, smoothies, and low-fat sandwiches are some of the new menu items.

Officials from University Dining Services said they have responded to student requests from an annual survey by offering students more dining options this year.

Changes include more retail dining locations and more name-brand choices such as Starbucks, Famous Dave’s and Chick-Fil-A, UDS marketing manager Suzanne Hedrick said.

In addition to surveying students each fall, UDS also consults other schools in the area and around the nation to better its service, Hedrick said. She said she is excited about the changes that have taken effect.

Centennial Hall and Coffman Union have later dinner hours, serving students until midnight and 10 p.m., respectively.

New menu items include smoothies, vegetarian sandwiches and sandwiches with fewer than 10 grams of fat.

“The fall survey helps us meet the needs of the students,” Hedrick said. The results of last year’s survey revealed that students wanted smoothies. The University now has smoothies available in more locations, including Coffman Union.

Students at Coffman Union can also try bubble tea, a cup of tea with tapioca pudding and flavor crystals in the bottom. Hedrick described it as “a party in a cup.”

Despite the UDS changes, some students still have complaints. Territorial Hall residents Laura Lewis and Chasity Hanuman periodically trek to Sanford Hall for dinner, where they say the food is more appetizing.

Most students in Territorial Hall eat in Centennial Hall, where Lewis thinks the lighting might have adverse effects on students’ appetites.

“They serve the same food every day,” Lewis said.

For students with similar grievances, comment cards and an on-staff nutritionist are available in residence halls better serve students with their concerns and suggestions, Hedrick said.