Global campus bridges University with large international community

Most people would think the easiest way to get to Europe would be in an airplane.
But for students at the University, travel to nearly any country they can think of begins at the Global Campus — the study abroad offices.
Located on the West Bank at 230 Heller Hall, the Global Campus staff will assist almost any student with planning and preparation for study in another country.
And, contrary to popular belief, prospective globe-trotters don’t necessarily have to speak a foreign language to take a semester in Albania.
The center offers programs with and without language requirements as well as programs with varying levels of language proficiency.
They offer study opportunities virtually anywhere in the world and will assist students with all aspects of their study time, including financial aid, transfer of credits and adequate language preparation. Many times, the office can arrange for credits to be directly recognized by the University, without having to transfer.
Global Campus also features flexible programs allowing travelers to take a trip with large groups of American students or trips where travelers are virtually left alone. Whether you want to see Paris with your friends or backpack alone in Nepal, Global Campus can send you there.
Students can also arrange to complete a foreign studies minor through study abroad. The minor is relatively easy to receive for students who have spent a semester or more in another country.
The office also collaborates with most colleges, including the College of Liberal Arts, the Institute of Technology and the Carlson School of Management. Virtually any student can get college approval and credit for education abroad.
The center features walk-in advising hours at its West Bank office from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Appointments can be made by calling 626-9000. Information is also available at the Global Campus Web site located at http://www.UMabroad.umn.edu.

Josh Linehan welcomes comments at [email protected]