Calling all UMD chancellor hopefuls

The University of Minnesota’s Duluth campus is looking for a new leader.

Chancellor Kathryn A. Martin will retire at the conclusion of the 2009-10 academic year after 15 years. According to the Duluth News Tribune, this is an “unusually long stay for a college president.”

During her tenure as chancellor, Martin, 69, “secured a record amount of funding and support for her school,” according to the Star Tribune.

The timetable set for a new appointment calls for candidate interviews by late March, after which University President Bob Bruininks will see a finalized list. The list would be published in the middle of April. The University hopes to make an appointment at the Board of Regents meeting in May. Applications are now being accepted.

A committee, led by the University’s vice president for equity and diversity and UMD’s vice chancellor for academic administration, has formed and includes Duluth’s Student Association president, two members of the community and a number of other administrators and faculty members.

According to the Duluth News Tribune:

The committee is looking for candidates who have records of successful leadership at higher education institutions, Magnuson said — someone “who has a capacity to move the campus forward in terms of service to its students, its commitment to its students and faculty in terms of teaching, research and service.”

SpencerStuart, an international search firm, will determine the viable candidates before the committee begins interviews. More information on the position, including its responsibilities, can be found here.