Administrative employee awarded

A reception to honor G. Edward Schuh for his recently awarded Regents’ professorship was held Tuesday night at the Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.
Humphrey Institute Dean John Brandl sponsored the reception. Colleagues, family and students were on hand to congratulate Schuh on his honor and listen to his speech on “Managing Our Future: New Institutions for a Changing Economy.”
Schuh was awarded the University’s highest faculty honor last May. He said his case was unique since the title is usually given to full-time instructors while he has served in administrative positions for 18 years.
Schuh was dean of the Humphrey Center from 1987 to 1997. He attributed his award to the fact that he continued to do scholarly work while holding administrative positions.
“As an administrator, I viewed my position as an intellectual leader, not a manager,” he said.
Public affairs professor Sandra Archibald and economics professor Terry Roe co-authored Schuh’s nomination. In her commentary Tuesday night, Archibald praised Schuh’s teaching ability.
“Many students come to his classroom with their convictions and their own understanding of the world and leave the classroom astonished at their own ignorance and are eager to learn,” she said.
Students present at the reception agreed with Archibald’s assessment of Schuh’s teaching prowess.
Dana Ingman, a graduate student in public affairs, said that Schuh’s experience made him a strong teacher.
“He has done decades of field work,” she said. “He is able to give a historical perspective on issues.”
Roe, an economics professor who has worked closely with Schuh on numerous projects, felt “privileged” to highlight Schuh’s achievements Tuesday night.
Roe has worked with Schuh in projects in countries including Peru, Panama, Uganda and Bolivia.
Schuh, who described himself as humbled in his speech, said that he had aspired to become a Regents’ professor since his arrival at the University in 1979.
“It is difficult to imagine a more professionally and personally rewarding honor,” he said.
Schuh said his goal as a Regents’ professor is to recruit world-class faculty to the University.
“The University needs the very best people,” he said. “It has been difficult to do this because of budget cuts from the state Legislature.”
Schuh also said he wants to create a balanced University environment.
“Balance between biological and natural sciences with social sciences and humanities; that is what will make this a great University,” he said.
Ignez Schuh, his wife, expressed her pride in husband’s accomplishments.
“It’s good to see that all the years and hard work have paid off,” she said.