Dinkytown the city of light?

For safety’s sake, with a little aesthetic improvement to boot, better lighting on 15th Avenue is a good idea.

Marcy-Holmes residents are pushing for a safer neighborhood through the installation and operation of pedestrian-level lighting along 15th Avenue Southeast. The lights are planned to run between Fifth Street Southeast all the way to Como Avenue Southeast. The poorly lit street is traveled heavily by University students and other Marcy-Holmes residents. Minneapolis City Council member Paul Zerby, Ward 2, who represents the Minneapolis campus and surrounding areas, is hoping that the decision to go ahead with the installation of the lights will be further pushed along during committee discussion.

The wiring for the lights has already been put in place. The residents want it and so does the University. The University offered to contribute $75,000 toward the project corresponding to approximately one-third of the total cost to install and operate the lights. The rest of the cost will be picked up by landlords on whose properties lights are installed. Cost per light is estimated at $150 a year for 20 years. This will most likely cause rent to increase for many living along the street.

The lighting is desired for one important reason, and that is safety. The residents are calling for the lights, and it is obvious that they feel they would benefit from their installation. Those pushing for the lights will be in agreement with an increase in rent costs if the extra money is going to help their safety.

The University wants to see the lights installed on this heavily traveled route to create a safer campus environment for students and other residents living in the area.

The lighting would be decorative and add a special allure to the neighborhood. It would make Dinkytown seem even more like a own little town and would blend the residential area of 15th Avenue Southeast with the area businesses and the Minneapolis campus. The wiring has already been installed and residents are fired up about the project.

It is important that the City Council push the installation of the lights through committees. The Marcy-Holmes neighborhood and the University both will benefit from the pedestrian-level lighting.