Wake magazine feels budget crunch

The magazine will receive no funds from the Fees Committee for next school year.

Wake magazine feels budget crunch

The Wake, the second-largest student-run publication on campus, was ineligible to request student service fees and now must find a way to pull together the funds to operate next year. This semester, The Wake did not register as a student group and as a result could not request funds from the Fees Committee for next year. Last year they received $57,000. The biweekly magazine is preparing to operate next year with roughly three-fifths its traditional budget, or $30,000, comprised of carry-over fees and grants, said Colleen Powers, business manager at The Wake. Survival techniques for the magazine may include temporarily suspending publication and producing content only available online, Powers said. âÄúIf thatâÄôs the case, itâÄôs a damn shame,âÄù former editor Ali Jaafar said. âÄúI hope that someone is enterprising enough to carry on the torch.âÄù Student Service Fees Committee adviser Erich Martin told The Wake they shouldnâÄôt bother applying for funding, said Paul Freeman, Student Organizations Committee chairman. âÄúWe didnâÄôt hear The WakeâÄôs application,âÄù Freeman said. âÄúThey didnâÄôt file an application.âÄù Funding from the committee has historically made up about 80 percent of the magazineâÄôs funding, the other 20 percent coming from advertising revenue and grants. The biggest obstacle for a small student-run publication is circulation and distribution, which requires adequate funding or a publication process shared by several different publications, said Sean Niemic, editor in chief of the Minnesota Republic. âÄúNothing good comes out of losing The Wake on campus,âÄù Niemic said. The WakeâÄôs name pays homage to its establishment in âÄúthe wakeâÄù of September 11, 2001, when the magazine was first printed, Jafaar said. During its existence on campus, The Wake has seen moments of high praise and recognition as well as disputes with the Fees Committee, which has twice attempted to cut funding for the magazine. In 2006, The Wake was named the nationâÄôs best campus publication by the Independent Press Association. The award came after two vigorous struggles with the Fees Committee in both 2004 and 2005. In 2004, the Fees Committee initially denied The Wake about $60,000 in funding that it eventually restored. In 2005, the committee denied additional funding for The Wake, which wished to publish weekly rather than biweekly. Eventually, the committee decided to partially fund the paperâÄôs attempt to print weekly. Powers said managerial turnover coming into this semester resulted in the gaffe, as the filing to become a student group was overlooked. âÄúWe already have enough in our account to survive,âÄù Powers said. âÄúThe Wake isnâÄôt going to die.âÄù