University graduate dominates first fight

Osseo native Caleb Truax had little trouble during his professional debut.

Brian Deutsch

Caleb Truax’s professional career began on a high note Friday as the Super-Middleweight defeated Ray Walker by way of technical knockout in a bout that was all too short for Truax.

“I went out there and got the jitters out. I knocked my guy out, and I couldn’t ask for more,” he said. “I wish he would have given me more of a fight, but it was good.”

Truax, a native of Osseo, gave his hometown crowd at the Target Center something to cheer about by dominating his pro debut from start to finish.

And the crowd was behind Truax the entire night.

While Walker (1-3-0) entered the ring amidst jeers for the St. Paul native, the fans in attendance erupted with support as Truax was introduced.

“I was surprised to see that big of an ovation,” Truax said after the fight.

And to show his thanks for the impressive showing of University students who came out to cheer on one of their own, Truax wore maroon and gold trunks.

One could have expected Truax to try and send a message in the first round of the fight by coming out strong, but the opposite was true.

Truax patiently bided his time against Walker although he still managed to record a pair of knockdowns in the first round alone.

For Walker, trips to the mat came frequently in the fight as the tired 175-pound fighter was knocked off his feet three times before the bout was finished.

When Truax landed a right that sent Walker’s mouthguard sailing in the second round, it was the beginning of the end.

The 168-pound Truax continued to land punches on his opponent who was reeling on the ropes.

Finally, referee Gino Rodriguez had had enough and stopped the fight before the second round was over.

“(Caleb) was fighting an awkward guy; an awkward guy is harder to fight than a good fighter,” Ron Lyke, Truax’s manager said. “He took his time in the first round and when the time came in the second round, (Truax) started to catch him. He opened up and he took care of business.”

Another victory

Truax wasn’t the only member of Lyke’s stable to find success Friday night.

Jon Schmidt improved his professional record to 2-0 after he defeated Shirome Baltcher (0-2).

According to Schmidt, after a slow and quiet first round, his corner had some simple, yet effective advice for the 164 1/2-pound fighter: “Throw more punches.”

And the Blaine native did just that as Schmidt landed a fury of blows throughout the second before the fight was stopped with 21 seconds left in the second round.

After the fights, Lyke spoke about his fighters, his gym and the future.

“We’re looking good, and we want to step it up and go on from here.”