Journey an hour from campus for this week’s recommendations

The A&E desk has you covered for those days when you want to go on a little afternoon adventure away from the omnipresent Minneapolis skyline.
Image by Mary Ellen Ritter

Minneapolis summers offer enough renowned parks, restaurants and festivals to keep any college kid busy but, alas, one does become wanderlust. A drive with the windows down or a bike ride with friends simply hits differently when Interstate-35 isn’t screeching in the background; hence, an hour journey outside of the city bustle feels essential at times.

These three A&E selections intend to spur epiphanies for those looking for something less than a day trip and more than a late lunch in Uptown. Check out what our desk recommends for an hour-long journey away from campus

Forgotten Star Brewery: I’m one of many car-less college students, so last fall when I interviewed a local muralist named Allison Hunsley at Forgotten Star Brewery, I biked my little self up through Northeast and into the first ring suburb of Fridley. Outside of being a fun work assignment, the approximately 45-minute ride from campus to the brewing company provided me with a new favorite brew spot and a fresh look at Northeast’s riverside bike path. Passing by Boom Island Park and Psycho Suzi’s, the trek to Forgotten Star was half the fun of grabbing a local pint, plus it made drinking a beer feel oddly healthy. Any University of Minnesota student looking to grab a group and take a long bike ride to a brewery (prototypical Minneapolis summer behavior) should definitely keep Forgotten Star’s spacious digs in mind. – James Schaak

Marine on St. Croix: Looking for a picturesque river town that is less than an hour away from the Twin Cities? Look no further than Marine on St Croix. Just 45 minutes northeast of campus, the sleepy little town offers comfort food, cozy storefronts and beautiful closeup views of the St. Croix River. Start off the day two miles north of the town by taking a hike in William O’Brien State Park. When you are ready for a rest, head into town for a filling meal at the Marine Cafe and a scoop of ice cream from ‘Nita Mae’s Scoop. Before you head home, make sure to check out the historic Marine Mill site right off of the main street for a look back into the past. – Maya Marchel Hoff

Franconia Sculpture Park: Located just under an hour from campus, Franconia Sculpture Park pulls its weight as more than a brief pitstop on the way to nearby Taylors Falls. The park is situated on 50 acres and features a space to focus on contemporary sculpture, installation and land art in addition to its artist residency program and community programming. Admission is free, rendering the open-air museum the perfect place for an aimless wander. Leave early on your way up and swing into Lindstrom for breakfast at the Swedish Inn or just a glimpse of the town’s coffee-pot-shaped water tower. – Sophia Zimmerman