2 Gophers enter NCAA Transfer Portal

The portal officially opened Monday. Freshman Jaden Henley becomes the Gophers’ first player to enter their name and sophomore Treyton Thompson soon followed.
Image by CJ Bonk
Jaden Henley blocks a shot from Indiana during the game on Wednesday, Jan. 25.

Gophers freshman Jaden Henley, a 6-foot-7-inch guard, announced his decision to enter the transfer portal Monday. 

Sophomore center Treyton Thompson joined Henley in the transfer portal shortly after on Monday.

“After talking with my family, I have decided to enter my name in the transfer portal and find a new home to continue my academic and athletic career,” Henley wrote on Twitter. “I look forward to the next step in my journey.”

Hailing from Ontario, California, Henley was rated as the 195th-best recruit in the high school class of 2022 and chose Minnesota over a top offer from San Diego State.

In his first collegiate season, Henley averaged 5.3 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 37.8% from 3-point range in 20.8 minutes per game.

When the Gophers defeated Nebraska in the first round of the 2023 Big Ten Tournament, Henley had 14 points and 2 assists in 33 minutes. Four of his five double-figure scoring performances occurred in the last nine games of the season.

During his two seasons on the team, Thompson averaged 2 points and shot 37% from the field in 39 total games played.

Thompson was the Gophers’ starting center in their first seven games of the season but saw his opportunities dwindle down the stretch. He averaged three fewer minutes per game following his tenure as a starter. The next, and last, time he started for Minnesota was in a late January game against Indiana.

In that performance, the Glenwood, Minnesota, native played 37 minutes and put up career highs in basketball’s five most notable statistics: points (8), rebounds (8), assists (4), blocks (2) and steals (1).

Thompson joins teammate Henley, also a former three-star prospect, as Minnesota’s second player to transfer this offseason. Their departures open up two scholarship spots on Minnesota’s roster that can be given to a current Gopher or an incoming player.

The Gophers ended the 2022-23 season with a 2-17 conference record and lost to Maryland in the Big Ten Tournament’s second round on Thursday.