2 women’s hockey sister duos to be reunited next season

Sophomore Gophers Peyton Hemp and Sadie Lindsay will each welcome a sister to the team next season.
Peyton+Hemp%2C+courtesy+of+Brad+Rempel+-+Gopher+Athletics.+
Peyton Hemp, courtesy of Brad Rempel – Gopher Athletics.

“I’m super proud of her,” Sadie Lindsay said about her younger sister, Ava, and her hockey career thus far.

Sadie, a sophomore, and her sister Ava, a high school senior, hail from Minnetonka. Being so close in age provided the sisters with the opportunity to play on the same team in high school. From 2017-2021, the two played together at Breck School.

“It was an awesome experience,” Sadie said. “We’re excited to continue it next year.”

Two sister duos will be coming to Minnesota next year

The Lindsay sisters are one of two sibling duos that will be reunited on the Gophers women’s hockey team next season. Sophomore Peyton Hemp’s younger sister, Josie, is slated to join the team next season as well.

“I think Sadie and I’s relationship with our little sisters is pretty similar,” Peyton said. “I feel like we’re both super close and have a lot of fun together.”

Both Ava and Josie played for Minnetonka High School this past season. Ava led the team with 25 goals and 43 points.

Ava, a standout forward for Minnetonka this past season, was also named the “Metro Player of the Year” by the Star Tribune.

“I think the way we see the ice, kind of our passing styles or skating styles are really similar,” Sadie said, describing the similarities between her and Ava. “I think our hands are pretty similar as well.”

Competition and bonding among the sisters

“She’s very competitive and very feisty,” Sadie said about her younger sister.

According to Sadie, Ava’s grit made for some tough competition when the two would play one-on-one.

“We were always competing against each other,” Sadie said. “We took a lot from each other and push each other a lot.”

The same goes for the Hemp sisters. Peyton said growing up, their competitiveness didn’t stop at hockey. Being so close in age — just over a year and a half apart — especially benefited Peyton and Josie during COVID-19.

“We’d always do workouts in the garage,” Peyton said. “It would always be a competition, like who could hold a plank the longest.”

But there was never a shortage of fun in the Hemp household.

“It was just me and her, goofing around the whole day,” Peyton said.

Playing close to home

For the Lindsay and Hemp sisters, growing up so close to Minneapolis creates a homegrown aspect of the team.

“I feel like anybody growing up in Minnesota, like, they’ll go to the Gopher games,” Peyton said. “It’s just kind of automatic that you’ll want to be drawn here.”

Peyton said she would go to Gopher games with her dad when she was younger.

“The one thing I remember is Rachel Ramsey because she was number five, and that was my number,” Peyton said.

Just a short drive from home, Peyton is able to maintain a quality relationship with her family.

“Only being 30 minutes away has been an absolute blessing,” Peyton said. “I will go home pretty much every Sunday. And you know, go out to eat with my parents here and there.”

Sadie can say the same, commenting, “Growing up in Minnesota, everyone’s dream is to play for the U. So an opportunity presented itself — it was just a dream come true.”

The culture is another large factor that draws players to Minnesota, they said.

“I loved the coaches, I loved how the team culture was run,” Sadie said. “It felt like a really good fit for me.”

What to look forward to next season

“I think I’m ready for a new start next season,” Sadie said. “I’m just excited to get to know all the new girls.”

Both Sadie and Ava are forwards, so there is potential for the two to play on the same line together. While playing together at Breck School, the Lindsay sisters both had numerous point-per-game seasons.

“Being able to play together was awesome for both of us and we just loved the time together,” Sadie said.

The Hemp sisters, however, play different positions; Peyton is a forward, while Josie is a defenseman. Thus, they haven’t had as much shared time as the Lindsay sisters.

Nonetheless, each can bring their individual talent. So far in 76 games as a Gopher, Peyton has earned 60 points. Her younger sister tallied 40 points as a blueliner this past season with Minnetonka High School.

A lot of talent is coming to Minnesota next season. The addition of reuniting sister duos will contribute a lot to the team’s chemistry.

“I’m really excited for this group to come together and the upcoming class is going to be a really good one,” Peyton said.