Gophers women’s tennis forced to end season early

The team’s season was cut short due to an abundance of injuries.
The+teams+remaining+matches+will+be+recorded+as+forfeits.+Photo+taken+by+Brad+Rempel.+
The team’s remaining matches will be recorded as forfeits. Photo taken by Brad Rempel.

The Gophers women’s tennis team will end its season early due to a plethora of injuries that reduced the number of healthy players to three, Director of Athletics Mark Coyle said in a press release Wednesday morning.

“This is an unfortunate and extremely unique situation where we no longer have enough healthy student-athletes to compete for the remainder of the season,” Coyle said. “We have communicated our situation to the Big Ten, and I commend our student-athletes who have proudly competed for the Maroon and Gold this year.”

The Gophers lost nine of their last 10 games due to their inability to field players in the fifth and sixth singles positions.

Despite the hurdles the team faced, Minnesota routinely competed with only four student-athletes for most of the season and compiled a 5-12 record.

The team will not compete in their remaining five regular season games or the Big Ten Tournament. The remaining matches will officially be recorded as forfeits.

This is a difficult way for the season to end, Coyle said, but his priority at this point is to look ahead to next season.

“Our goal is to help our student-athletes recover and to field a healthy and competitive roster for the 2023-24 academic year,” Coyle said.