Top five affordable coffee shops near campus

Need a quick boost without breaking the bank? We’ve got a list for you.
Image by CJ Bonk
1.99 Americano opened on 4th St next to Goldy’s Locker Room.

Coffee is a common way for students to cope with their early morning classes, yet a regular morning trip to chains like Starbucks and Caribou can quickly break the bank. Fortunately, there are many inexpensive options for a quick boost of energy. Here are the top five budget-friendly coffee shops close to the University of Minnesota campus.

1. Honour Coffee and Raw Juice

451 NE Stinson Blvd, Minneapolis, MN (Como)

For students living in Como, Honour is an option just north of Hennepin Ave that offers coffee and juices at a reasonable price. Their coffee drinks average around $5 a cup, and they also offer a variety of acai bowls and freshly pressed juice mixes. 

“I’d say the energy is always pretty vibrant here, especially in the summer, with all the plants, the green wall inside and all the outdoor seating,” said Honour employee, Evan Schmitz.

Honour offers delicious drinks like Miels and Golden Nut Milk, but due to their distance and slightly higher price point, it ranks at number five.

1. Black Coffee and Waffle Bar

1500 Como Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (Como)

A popular coffee shop on the corner of Van Cleve Park, their drinks average around $4 a cup. They also offer a large selection of specialty waffles and breakfast options to fuel your post-class study sessions. It is a distinctive and cherished location in the Como neighborhood.

A cappuccino at Black Coffee and Waffle Bar only costs $3.75, yet it is still a distance from campus, putting it number four on this list.

1. Bordertown Coffee

315 16th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN (Dinkytown)

Located in an old house behind the Sigma Nu fraternity, Bordertown is a cafe that has been on campus since 2004. With European-style specialty lattes as cheap as $4.50, Bordertown is dedicated to being accommodating and friendly with its customers. 

“Bordertown is a hidden gem that not many people know about. I have not found a better coffee on campus than I have here,” said University student Sean Martin. Martin’s favorite drink to get is the Salted Caramel Mocha.

Bordertown is very close to campus but has a higher price point, making it number three.

1. Code Blu

2620 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN (Seward)

Code Blu is a must-visit if you want something down-to-earth and reasonably priced. This folksy shop sells small lattes for $4.35 and small mochas for only $3.75. Located on West Bank in the Seward neighborhood, this location offers fair prices and is close to campus, which makes it number two.

1. $1.99 Americano

1407 4th St SE, Minneapolis, MN

The newest coffee shop in the heart of Dinkytown, $1.99 Americano, has a welcoming atmosphere and dirt-cheap prices. A latte is only $3.99 and, of course, an Americano is only $1.99. Their selection of coffee is paired with specialty waffles and ice cream to cure your sweet tooth, and their cozy seats and complimentary Wi-Fi make it a perfect place to study after class.

“The price point is definitely a selling point that makes everything worth it. I like to get the banana Nutella waffle,” said University student Ethan Nguyen.

If you don’t want to strain your wallet for a quick caffeine boost and can’t travel too far from the University between classes, $1.99 Americano is the closest and most affordable coffee shop near campus.