UMN’s five best study spots for finals

MN Daily polled students about their favorite study spots. Here are the results.
Image by Gabrielle Erenstein
Walter Library on East Bank wins a poll for the best study spot on campus, on Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023.

Classes are wrapping up at the University of Minnesota and finals are approaching. The University has many spaces on campus for students to study and get work done.

The Minnesota Daily polled students to find out the five most popular study spots on campus.

1. Second floor of Walter Library

The second floor of Walter Library, a classic study spot at the University, offers a unique environment for students seeking a productive space for academic pursuits.

Throughout the day, Walter bustles with activity as students engage in their studies. The library becomes a hive of energy, with the various rooms serving different study groups or individuals.

The atmosphere in Walter is conducive to individual study but also provides resources for those seeking tutoring in specific subjects. Different spaces on the floor are dedicated to quiet study, collaborative study or tutoring.

Malin Anderson, a third-year student majoring in biology, said she likes to go to the quiet study room.

“I focus a lot better when I’m in a space like that because I don’t have any distractions,” Anderson said.

The most striking feature of Walter is its beautiful ceiling, which adds to the overall aesthetic appeal of the place. The ornate design, combined with cozy and warm lighting, creates an inviting atmosphere that encourages focused learning.

After 6 or 7 p.m., the library generally starts to empty out. The library closes at midnight on weekdays, but starting Dec. 8, the library will be open 24 hours for students with a U Card until Dec. 21 at 6 p.m.

2. The Toaster Innovation Hub

In the basement of Walter Library, the Toaster is a dynamic and lively collaborative workspace, offering a contrast to the more traditional library ambiance found on the upper floors.

The Toaster features energy and interaction and the space is designed to foster collaboration, with funky seating arrangements encouraging students to gather and exchange ideas.

Tiana De Grande, a fourth-year student majoring in ecology, evolution and behavior, said she likes to study in groups, so the Toaster is perfect for her.

“It’s nice because you can talk and it’s not a quiet environment,” De Grande said.

Tables provide ample space for groups to convene, making it an ideal location for group projects, and the contemporary design elements contribute to a refreshing and innovative atmosphere. There is also a cafe in the basement where students can refuel with coffee or snacks.

The popularity of the space makes it a busy area, and finding an available spot to sit can be a challenge.

3. Moos Tower

Moos Tower offers many different study experiences: with high tops, couches and long tables, students have multiple options for workspaces.The building’s layout promotes a peaceful atmosphere and while many students nap on the couches, there is enough activity to prevent it from becoming distractingly silent.

Makayla Makovec, a first-year student majoring in sociology, said she lives in Superblock and likes to go to Moos Tower because of its proximity to her dorm.

“It’s also just the right amount of noise and traffic where it doesn’t get boring,” Makovec said.

The tower comprises multiple floors, each equipped with charging outlets at most tables. Large rooms with whiteboards are available for rent, adding versatility to the available study spaces.

For those who prefer a quiet study setting, there is a designated area on one of the upper floors, complete with lots of windows that offer natural light and a refreshing view.

4. Recreation and Wellness Center

The main lobby of the University Recreation and Wellness Center (RecWell) on the East Bank campus is perfect for students who want to get in a workout during their study day.

The lobby is full of tables and couches, and the clanking of exercise equipment and the constant traffic of students and faculty is beneficial to students who do not like to study in complete silence. In the middle of the lobby, a fireplace and a large water feature contribute to a cozy atmosphere.

Alison Weber, a first-year student majoring in biology, said she loves the open spaces and natural lighting at the RecWell.

“It’s just a great place because I can go from working out to studying or vice versa,” Weber said.

Within the RecWell, near the North Gym, there are more tables and chairs for students to utilize if they are seeking a quieter, less busy environment.

Conveniently situated near Stadium Village, the RecWell provides students with easy access to a variety of dining options. Within the RecWell itself, students can purchase shakes or smoothies at Shake Smart for a snack.

5. Wilson Library

Wilson Library, located on the West Bank, boasts numerous study spots. Although its aesthetic may not be considered picturesque, the library is highly practical with a lot of space for students.

The third and fourth floors, in particular, are frequently unoccupied, making them ideal for those seeking a focused environment among the multiple bookshelves.

The first floor features a collaboration area where students can talk and work on group projects. Wooden desks and table areas are strategically placed between the bookshelves, providing additional study spaces.

Regan Engeman, a first-year student majoring in elementary education, said most of her classes are on the East Bank, but she comes to Wilson Library because it is her favorite study spot.

“This library is a little quieter and it’s more likely I will find a space to study,” Engeman said.

View Comments (2)