BREAKING: Robert McMaster announced decision to step down

McMaster, currently the vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, will stay with the University as a faculty member in the Department of Geography.
The exterior of Morrill Hall on the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus on July 3, 2020.
Image by Emily Urfer

Robert McMaster is stepping down as the University of Minnesota’s vice provost and dean of undergraduate education after serving 16 years in the position. 

Executive Vice President and Provost Rachel Croson confirmed McMaster’s departure on Monday in an announcement to University faculty and administration on the Twin Cities campus. 

McMaster will stay with the University as a faculty member in the Department of Geography, a department in which he previously served as the director of undergraduate studies.

“Please join me in thanking Professor Robert McMaster for his outstanding and transformational leadership as vice provost and dean of undergraduate education for the past 16 years,” Croson’s announcement said. “We are pleased he will remain a part of the University community and will provide transitional guidance to the newly appointed vice provost and dean of undergraduate education.”

This development comes just over two weeks after Interim President Jeff Ettinger confirmed the resignation of Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations Myron Frans, another high-ranking University administrator. 

The University’s Twin Cities campus saw the largest improvement in four-year graduation rates of any doctoral-granting institution in the United States during McMaster’s tenure, according to Croson’s announcement. 

Applications and nominations for the next vice provost and dean of undergraduate education are now being accepted, with the review process beginning on Feb. 29. The chosen candidate will start in June or shortly thereafter, according to Croson’s announcement.