“Yours Truly” art exhibit on display at Coffman

The exhibit features a variety of works from ten different University Students.
Yours+Truly+is+a+collection+of+works+by+10+University+of+Minnesota+students+in+the+Coffman+Art+Gallery%2C+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+10%2C+2024.+The+collection+is+up+until+March+10th.+
Image by Gabrielle Erenstein
Yours Truly is a collection of works by 10 University of Minnesota students in the Coffman Art Gallery, on Friday, Feb. 10, 2024. The collection is up until March 10th.

Coffman Union art gallery opened its newest exhibit, “Yours Truly,” a collection featuring the distinct artistic abilities of ten different student artists providing an insight into the diverse range of creative minds and identities present at the University of Minnesota.

The exhibit features a range of artworks in many media, including paint, ink, photography and mixed media.

An acrylic painting titled “Good Morning” by Izzy Spiess, a second-year student studying acting, depicts a silhouette of two figures standing in a field as the sun is rising behind some clouds. This image is painted with vivid colors and quick, squiggly brushstrokes.

“I have been painting what I call ‘squiggly guys’ in a series of paintings that are sometimes more symbolic and abstract, and sometimes exist in the real world,” Spiess said. “Their more liquid, maneuverable forms free me up from sticking strictly to anatomy to communicate feeling and mood through body language.”

Two works displayed are black and white ink illustrations. One is by Euan Lim, a fourth-year student studying English. The piece, titled “Warblers” features four birds, one above each other. The piece was made using a technique called “giclée print” which is a high-quality way of printing art that uses a specific type of ink and paper.

The other is by Elodie Du, a graduate school student studying electrical engineering. Her piece “Hong Kong” is a pen drawing of a bustling street in the Chinese city.

“I have learned about the dreamy city through a lot of films from the 1980s,” Du said. “It’s like a part of my imagination from those old films painted into reality,”

Another colorful and chaotic piece titled “Hyperpop” features a storm of scribbles using Posca paint markers. The entire canvas is filled with squiggles and faces that radiate a sense of energy. The piece was created by Anna Overall, a second-year student studying political science, Spanish and pre-law.

“The bright feelings of this piece illustrate what music does to the brain, as it activates almost all brain regions.” Overall said.

The exhibit also features three photographs. One by Nicole Solfest depicting a close-up image of water dripping onto a rock formation. Another by Seeta Goyal featuring a landscape of orange autumn trees being reflected in the water. The third by Andrew Kind is a portrait shot showing a field of flowers in front of a rocky elevation.

“Yours Truly” is a testament to the creative abilities of all kinds of students found on campus. The exhibition brings together artists from many disciplines and backgrounds, promoting a sense of community at the University.

A reception for the exhibit will take place at the Coffman Art Gallery on Feb. 21 from 6-8 p.m. The exhibit will be open until March 10.